MY ROCKBOXED D2!!!
Oct 31, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 has a much better EQ than the ipod ever did.

I think the major shortcomings of the D2 are all software based.

well, i don't use ipod eq: it is crap. but d2 has only 5 band and one is shiftable as a feature. that is silly. they should have taken a good look at meizu eq which is much better. good news is that it will only get better from here on out.

the hardware is what it is and is quite good but if software could fix the problems in the hardware: pigs shall surely go from my most tender of places and decorate a tree across from my flat.

exciting. almost would not mind picking up a used one to test with RB. a real eq and gapless... nice. has meizu RB gone any further?

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i don't use ipod eq: it is crap. but d2 has only 5 band and one is shiftable as a feature. that is silly.

Small point but all 5 are shiftable, 3 can be used with wide-band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exciting. almost would not mind picking up a used one to test with RB. a real eq and gapless... nice. has meizu RB gone any further?

I wouldn't advise it to be honest, the file system isn't coded properly - Rockbox can only just read files and cannot write.

This means that:
- Settings can't be saved unless you edit the config file on your computer
- Playlists can't be edited or saved
- Tag database doesn't work - might not be a big issue to some.
- Random errors

Also the SD card can't be read or written to AFAIK and the touchscreen isn't 100% either, making selecting things very difficult if you don't use the volume/menu button.

I didn't notice any sound improvements either but I didn't use the EQ.

So although it is nice to play with every once in a while and if you HAVE to listen to an album gapless, it's not yet worth it over the official firmware overall.

Yet.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 20
I can not imagine you do not hear a sound improvement. It is definitely there.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 20
shiftable versus proper dedicated bands in equally as unforgiveable as it still allows you only to edit 5 at a time. it is somewhat less arbitrary but oh well.

i can imagine that the little tiny bit of hiss that the d2 produces would go away with sensitive earphones but rockbox cannot overcome problems in the hardware.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by janruzinsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not imagine you do not hear a sound improvement. It is definitely there.

I can't (or couldn't anyway) do a proper comparison since I found it difficult to match the volume between the two firmwares for a start. If there was an improvement I didn't notice then so be it, I'm not losing sleep over it or am I urging people to give it a go since there are too many problems with it as it stands.

Shig, I was being intentionally pedantic
tongue.gif
I couldn't see the smilies when posting so couldn't add one on the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back