My review upon HP-MD33S
Apr 17, 2005 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Standard

New Head-Fier
I wrote this review for an other website I'm member in (MD TBoard) and I thought it could as well be of use in Head-fi (hope I'm not running redundant with the md33s topic though):

1) Shipping:
ok, I really believe AudioCubes to be a reliable source when Net selling comes into play. Fast and informative.

2) Outpacking:
OVERVIEW_LARGE.jpg

left to right: the source: sharp's md-ds8 inside its case, the four to three pole converter (usefull for those willing to use the md33 with a three pole unit), the md33s earphones (you can notice the longer right phone touch, vintage that is), the box with two different sized earplugs (I apreciate that detail)

3) Sound:
As an audiophile this is the critical feature expected in systems/units/phones, so let's ride in:
I did a one night burn in, plugging the phones to whatever radio station on my tuner deck. The audio test would include diverse kinds of music (concertos, sole instrument, opera, Jazz, Rock, Electronic, etc.)
a) the soundstage/soundscape: it is damn HUGE, deep, enormous for earbuds. The sound isn't thin at all (taking into account the source is a portable MD, not a deck)

b) definition: well as stated by others before me you won't get a Stax or Er-4P detailed sound alike, but details are very decently present.

c) spectrum:
highs: like I enjoy'em, crisp and clear
mids: maybe a little backgrounded, but natural
bass: I'm not a Koss sound fan, so not having my whole music devoured by the bass doesn't hurt that much. The bass, here, is tight but very clean. Wich I find enjoyable.

The conclusion as regards sound is: a stunning earphone when price is brought forth AND if you solely use'em with an Auvi unit. Indeed, the main force of this device is the FOUR POLE technology that makes the couple Auvi unit + HP-MD33S an ultimate portable experience to me. With a three pole unit (using the converter), the excellence of these earbuds faints off when compared to the headphone's market, as they can't cope with the precision of high-end phones like my sr-001 for exemple.

3) Isolation:
Labeled as a canalphone, I tested the phone in my car, in the sub and while walking. Isolation is very good and I don't concur with general opinion when it comes to interferences. I wasn't annoyed that much, and when I would put the left phone upside down and wrap the cord around my left ear, interference would be gone for good.

4) Comfort:
Just perfect. after almost a full day at work, I encounter no fatigue or irritation at all. Yet are the earplugs sometime a little loose in the ear, but it could be fixed by using an other size of earpugs.

5) Portability:
Very light, very portable, and when I don't wear'em I carry them like this alongside my unit:
OVERVIEW.jpg

An awesome earphone, as a matter of conclusion, and when u consider the price, it is well worth each dollar

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Nice review. Wow, didn't know there was a significant difference when used with AUVI units. But mine still sound great. I find the high's a bit metallic, even with the foam mod, but considering they are $50 shipped, they are a bargain. Definatly some of the best bang for buck earphones out there.

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 3
glad you liked them. the sharp md33 is indeed a very good pair of canalphones. for some reason, i always come back to them even though i have other buds/phones. they are that good. i hope the senn iem4, which is manufactured by the same people that makes md33, will be released soon because it does not have the 4-pole thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back