My Review on the Klipsch Image X10
Dec 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ThePandemonium

100+ Head-Fier
Well I finally decided to sit down and write a review on my some what new klipch image x10. Now bare with me, this is my first review on any type of audio equipment, so it may not be the greatest. Also I do not have that much experience with other headphones because I went to the top of the line very quickly.

Comparisons
Shure SE110, JBL Reference 220, Denon c551. (I will not be comparing these to the Triple.fi 10's very much)

Song Choice
These are the songs I used to judge the Klipsch on their sound.
"Never Pleased" by Portugal. The Man Album- Censored Colors (Everyone needs this album.)
"Simon Courage Flees The Coop" by Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground
"Thanks For The Killer Game of Crisco Twister" by Minus the Bear
"Cavalettas" by The Mars Volta
"Lemon Meringue Tie" by Dance Gavin Dance

First Impressions
The packaging of the Klipsch is very attractive, with its "floating box inside of a box." It really shows that these are very expensive and very nice. Too hard to open, I just wanted my headphones. They come with two cases, one large and one small for the headphones only.
Now to the part I wanted to try out, the ear tips. I hear everyone saying that the ear tips are awesome, and they sure are. I am rocking out with the large single flange tips now.

When I first put the headphones in I was not too impressed with the isolation at all. After coming from the Shures with the triple flange tips, the Shures just trumps them in isolation. But the isolation is still much better than the JBL's and the Denons.

Let me stress that these babys are COMFORTABLE, everyone said they were and boy they wern't kidding. You put them in and they are gone, you dont know they are there. It truly is amazing, because with the Shures I knew they were there, and I could not wear them for long. This is one of the reasons why I hated the Triple.fi and did not consider the Shure SE530.

1226082336.jpg

This shows you how small they are in comparison to a quarter and my Zen.

Sound
Well this is what everyone is here for, so here I go. Remember I'm not too good at this.

Highs
I remember people saying that these had a roll off in the highs, but I have no idea what they are talking about. I found the treble to be spectacular on these! The frist thing I noticed when I started to listen to these was how bright they were. All the Minus the Bear song, the cymbals came in slamming and defiantly lingered around much more than any other earphone I have. I was worried that the Shures were going to have more detail than these, boy was I wrong. Everything sounds very crisp and clear, there are no problems with the highs. I'll give it a 10 out of 10. (In comparison to the Shures which would get a 7.)

Mids
This is the one part of the spectrum that I HATED on the Shures, it was like there was a huge hump in the spectrum. It is so much more refined and better in the Klipsch, but not perfect. On the song "Simon Courage Flees The Coop" the vocals are much there, detailed and everything. It just seems that the singer is a few steps back. Kay Kay is a very complex band and it seems that the singer is buried behind all of it. Its not a horrible problem, as it could be much worse than it is. I would give it an 8 out of 10. (Shure would get a 5 on this one.)

Lows
This is the part that everyone talks about on the Klipsch, is the bass. Everyone says these can be some of the bassiest earphones about there, comparing with the UE SF5 EB and the Atrios. I was getting a little scared because coming from the non existent bass of the Shures to the Bass behemoth klipsch, may be too over-whelming to me. When I put them on, I was glad to hear that it was the perfect amount of bass! Very puchy, nice amount of it, just right. There is no sign of muddiness at all, all perfect bass. Still, I wanted to see what these things can really do. So I put it trough the most brutal bass testers I have, and it did not disappoint. It hit every single note perfectly, with no distortion at the highest of volumes. It had the bass of a car stereo, but the size smaller than a quarter. Very Impressive. Im going with a 10 out of 10 on this one. (Shure gets a 6.)

Soundstage
This is something that I really don't understand that well. But I still think this one has a pretty good one. I can just imagine the bang and where each member is perfectly. I really couldnt do that with the Shures, it was just kinda there.

Summary
This are a wonderful pair of headphones, that really do hold their own to the other top headphones. I got them at the half off sale, but even though that is over, I still think for $350 it is still a wonderful deal. You can get the Triple.fi at the same price, but I still think these are better in all ways.

1226082340.jpg

This is just another picture that my friend wanted to see, because I said the Klipsch gels look really nice on the Shures and made them sound better. He wants the gels for his shures, but they still dont SELL THE GELS (heh, that sounds funny..)

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Nice review. I agree, the X10s are fantastic phones at the $175 price tag, way way worth the price of admission. I have to say, I love the Westone 3s, and believe they are a superior IEM sound-wise, but the comfort of the X10s is so amazing (I use the larger b-flanges) they keep me coming back for certain uses (like a quick walk). I won't ever be selling either the X10s or the W3s. Can't say the same for my other phones.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Can you still get them for $175?

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Am surprised as the X5s I bought were terrible in the highs. They just sounded flat in general. I guess the X10s are substantially better?

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am surprised as the X5s I bought were terrible in the highs. They just sounded flat in general. I guess the X10s are substantially better?

That doesn't make sense to me. I've got the X5's and they have excellent highs. Everything I've read that compares the X5's and X10's says the X5's are the same or better in the mids and highs and the X10's have deeper bass.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 8
I started a new thread for UK buyers to get the X10 for £129.99. Offer ends 6th Jan. Let me know if you need a link to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back