My review of Zagg Z.buds
Oct 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mp3

500+ Head-Fier
ZAGG, based in Salt Lake City, are perhaps most known for the Invisibleshield screenprotectors, but they are breaking ground in the IEM business as well. Today we are ears on with their Z.buds.

Zagg Z.buds

Specs.
Earphone:
Single dynamic driver, 10 mm
Frequency range: 20 Hz – 20 KHz
Impedance: 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 94 dB/mW
Mic:
Microphone with noise canceling condenser
Frequency range: 30 Hz – 16 KHz
Impedance: 10 Ohm
Sensitivity: 42 dB/mW

Price: With mic $79.99, without mic $69.99
Colours: Black, red, yellow or pink cable, with black housing

Build quality and accessories.
Build quality is on top. The housing is made of metal, the cable is cloth/nylon covered and measures 140cm/54in, and it has a 90 degree jack at the end. The cable splitter is located in the middle of the cable, leaving a very long split section with three adjustable sliders. The included accessories are, four pairs of different sized silicone sleeves (S, M, L and triple flanges), two pairs of different sized foam sleeves (S and M), and a pouch. A very generous amount of sleeves, excellent work Zagg.
The mic version is compatible with iPhone music and call control, this means that the jack has a three channel setup instead of two, which may confuse some players. Tip, if you intend to use the Z.buds with a ”non-phone” player, then go for the ”non-mic” version.

Comfort and fit.
The Z.buds are about average size but still very light, they are also very comfortable thanks to the many different sleeves provided. They can be worn both with the cable running over the ear as well as straight down, and in a new revolutionary and patent pending way called ”Hangin’ tight” (see picture). Isolation is good with silicone sleeves and even better with foam sleeves. There are microphonic noises from the cloth cable, but by ”hangin’ them tight” the noise disappeares completely.

Sound quality.
Being a dynamic IEM the Z.buds require time to settle (burn in) to sound their best. Once settled they offer a very powerful and dynamic sound, one way of describing them would be as having two fullsize loudspeakers tied to your ears. The bass, this is what Z.buds are all about, is tight, punchy and deep, still it does not interfere with the rest of the soundspectrum. The mids and highs are slightly in the background yet fully audible and most of all they are smooth as honey, and the soundstage is pleasingly wide. The level of detail is good, but the Z.buds are more aimed at fun than critical listening. By applying a little EQ and DSP to boost the higher frequencies the Z.buds really make your music come alive. My favourite tracks, and any other music I have tried them with sound very involving, the sheer bass energy is hugely addictive, and the overall sound is extremely involving and fun. In my opinion they would fit like a glove to be used at the gym or while sporting.

To sum up.
The good: very powerful and overall good sound, build quality, design, mic version for headset use and iPhone control, very good sleeves selection grants excellent comfort and fit.
The bad: they may require EQ’ing to really sound their best in the mid and upper soundspectrum, some players have problems with the three channel jack on the mic version.

Verdict: for the price they offer very good sound and a real energy kick for your music. Excellent comfort and fit, much thanks to the ”Hangin’ tight” concept, which also makes sure they stay put.
I would highly recommend them as your ”activity” IEM’s, be it with or without mic, or just as a really good headset for your iPhone.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Sweet. How do they compare to your other earphones? I think that would give people a much better grasp of where this earphone lies.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the Zagg Z-buds since about February or March and while I admire their engineering principles, they are one of the worst implementations of it I have encountered. They are not bad earphones, but are far from ideal. Anyway, thank you for the review.

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 7
They are not perfect, but they do give good bang for buck, and I really like their sound sig when boosting the higher frequencies a tad. As I said in my review, I rate them very high as a headset and/or activity IEM.

One day I really should compare all my IEM's and rate them accordingly, when I get the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Sweet "hanging-tight" design, never knew about that but it looks pretty innovative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back