500+ Head-Fier
HiSound Crystal

Specs.
Dynamic driver
Frequency range:
Impedance:
Sensitivity:
RRP: $130

Unfortunately the specs are unknown. These are also a non-retail version, so there may be slight differences to the full retail version.

Build quality and accessories.
Build quality is good. The housing is made of plastic and metal, the slightly plasticky feeling cable is 125cm long and it terminates in a straight jack.
The included accessories are, three pairs of different sized silicone sleeves (S, M and L) and a shirt clip. A pouch would have been nice to include.

Comfort and fit.
The Crystal are quite small and very light. They can be worn with the cable running over the ear as well as straight down. They are very comfortable to wear, but can be a little finicky to fit properly. Isolation from ambient noise is very good for a dynamic IEM and microphonic noise can be minimized by wearing the cable over the ear and by using the shirt clip.

Sound quality.
As a dynamic IEM they require time to settle (burn in) to sound their best.
The Crystal offers a bass driven, very powerful sound, but it does so without sacrificing the mids and highs. As said the bass is strong yet very well controlled and most importantly, it does not overpower the rest of the sound spectrum. Mids are smooth with good detail, even if they are a bit in the background, the highs are clearly audible without sounding harsh or sibilant. The soundstage is about average, but nicely layered.
My test tracks sound great, the drums and bass really punch hard when asked to, guitars and voices sound full and smooth, cymbals and other high-pitched instruments sound natural.
For the asking price they are very good, but remember that they are very much bass driven and may not suit all tastes.

[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt] 
To sum up.
The good: very powerful bass driven sound, price/performance.
The bad: not easily available to buy, can be too powerful and bass driven for some.

Verdict: if you like bass, these are for you. Highly recommended.
[/size]

[size=10pt]HiSound Live[/size]

[size=10pt]Specs.
Dynamic driver
Frequency range:
Impedance:
Sensitivity:
RRP: $99
[/size]

[size=10pt]Unfortunately the specs are unknown. These are also a non-retail version, so there may be slight differences to the full retail version.[/size]

[size=10pt]Build quality and accessories.
Build quality is great. The housing is made of metal, the slightly plasticky feeling cable is 120cm long and it terminates in a straight jack.
The included accessories are, two extra pairs of earpads and a shirt clip. A case would have been nice.
[/size]

[size=10pt]Comfort and fit.
The Live buds are about average both weight wise and size wise. They can be worn with the cable running over the ear but are intended to be worn with the cable straight down. They are very comfortable and unobtrusive to wear, but may not fit small ears. Isolation from ambient noise is not really the strongest point of earbuds, there is next to no microphonic noise and fixing the cable with the shirt clip can further minimize it.
[/size]

[size=10pt]Sound quality.[/size]
[size=10pt]Having dynamic drivers the Live buds require time to settle (burn in) to sound their best. That said, they do sound very nice straight out of the box as well.[/size]
[size=10pt]The Live buds offer a powerful and airy sound, without sacrificing the mids and highs in any way. The bass is strong and punchy yet very well controlled, the smooth mids have good detail, the highs are very nice and clear without sounding harsh or sibilant. The soundstage is very big and expansive.[/size]
[size=10pt]My test tracks sound lively and great, with excellent drum and bass reproduction, guitars and voices blend in nicely and cymbals are clear without any harshness.[/size]
[size=10pt]I really enjoy listening to the Live buds. For the asking price they are very, very good.[/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]To sum up.
The good: excellent, powerful and airy sound, build quality and materials used, exclusive looks, price/performance.
The bad: may not fit small ears, not easily available to buy.

Verdict: I must confess to not having heard that many earbuds before, but the Live buds have made me a fan of them. Excellent sound, excellent build quality and exclusive looks at a really affordable price. Highly recommended.
[/size]
[/size]

May 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm.. The Live earbuds look interesting... Any idea where I may get my hands on them?

May 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 10
I want the AMP3. I wonder how that'll stand up to the other Amp's Media Players.

May 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 10
How did you get them to float around an outdoor table like that? Did you use invisible wires to hold them up like that before taking the photos? Incredible.

May 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Grr, I can't edit or delete the post above, neither can I see any of the text I've written there in reply...

It's a background I use for photos, no magic involved
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Hmm, these seem to have the same design/oem as the Fischer Audio FA-990. I wonder how they compare considering the prices are quite a bit different...(when the FA-990s were still around that it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back