MY REVIEW: Head-Direct RE 1 IEM's
Mar 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Metalspree

Head-Fier
[size=large]Introduction[/size]

We all start our journey into the word of digital audio with a basic player and stock earphones. Some feel the urge to upgrade to better stuff, some don't. I am one of those who's never satisfied when it comes to quality sound because I just love my music, it's more than a hobby or pastime for me.

When I got the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers modded, I started to dislike the Creative EP-630 which I used to love earlier and I wanted a pair of earphones which sounded much more refined like my speakers, so after taking a few suggestions from mt friends, and other members I finally upgraded to the Head-Direct RE2.It is one of the best IEMs I've had till date, and when paired with the Fiio E5 it's just unbeatable even for double its price!

Later when I got the Cowon D2+ and started looking for an upgrade to RE-2 as well .I was ready to spend up to $200 provided I get something worth the moolah. After a research of about 3 months and speaking to few audiophiles, reviewers for many IEM's over the Head-Fi forums and came to a conclusion that the Head Direct RE-1 is going to be my best bang for the buck .I purchased it for $89(Thanks giving and Christmas sale) and got it in less than a week .All thanks to Fang Bian of Head-Direct for the great service.

Here's a review of the RE-1.

p1010245p.jpg

[size=large]Specifications[/size]

Driver unit: 9mm
Impedance: 150 Ohm
Sensitivity: 103dB/1mW
Rate input: 10mw
Max. Input: 30mw
Frequency
response: 20Hz ~ 18KHZ

These are the official specs from Head-Direct. The specs do matter with the RE 1 as they have a staggering 150 ohms impedance, which means that they are not so easy to drive and need a portable headphone amplifier for them to outshine.

[size=large]
Packaging and Accessories[/size]

The earphones were shipped from China through EMS on the same day I ordered and were delivered in 6 days flat .The earphones come in a leather box which is similar to the older versions of RE2.It was packed really well with 4 layers of bubble wrap and kept in a cardboard box.

dsc01879h.jpg

Leather box for the IEM's

p1010248a.jpg

The accessories consist of a pair of white transparent L bi flanges, a shirt clip, 3 pairs of filters, normal S, M, L ear tips. When compared to the RE2 the ear tips supplied are less, but to get a good seal most folks use only the white transparent L bi flanges.

Tips and Filters
p1010268v.jpg

p1010270c.jpg

Shirt Clip
p1010272b.jpg

At $89 i would not ask for much but it would have been great if all the ear tips similar to the old RE2 are included ie-(1 S-bi-flange, 1M-bi-flange, 2 transparent and L bi-flanges) .Also one wouldn't want to ill-treat any of their high end IEMs so the least Head direct can do is add a cable winder and a soft carrying pouch to their high-end IEMs.

[size=medium]I would rate the package as 8/10.[/size]

[size=large]Design and Build Quality[/size]

The design of the earphones looks similar to the head-direct RE2.Its piano black finish which it a metallic look. The earphones are very light weight and you can plug them in your ear's for long music listening sessions without any discomfort .First time IEM users might need to try out all the different ear tips and use the one which provides the best balance between comfort and isolation.

Close look at the IEM's
p1010249x.jpg

The cable is fabric knit which reduces micro phonics to a great extent and the extra coating also prevents the cable from damage. The 3.5 mm connector is a right angled one and the main cable splits at the center for separation of left & right plugs.

Cable Split
p1010266s.jpg

3.5mm Plug at right angle
p1010258e.jpg

If you observe closely the rear of the ear plugs has small circular vents similar to that on the RE-2.Just that the metallic plate with the vents is golden instead of the silver on RE-2.The vents mainly help in a better bass response and now a day’s most IEMs incorporate small holes or vents in the IEM housing. Also the gold finish on the RE-1 makes it slightly more flashy and noticeable in public.

p1010254c.jpg

The RE1s have better drivers than the RE2's which is pretty obvious when the price different is so huge. They are aimed at people like me who crave for the ultimate audio experience in a small package. The RE1s are made to suit a niche market where only a relatively small amount of people who are willing to sacrifice portability and money to get a good portable sound rig.

[size=medium]Design and build quality 10/10
[/size]

[size=large]Performance[/size]

I was curious to test them in my laptop with creative X-fi USB sound card instead of the D2 ,so I hooked them to my laptop right out of the box and they sounded much more neutral and balanced compared to my RE2.I thought the RE-2 were really good with mids but it’s the RE-1 which has a really smooth and perfect mid range. The sound is very laid back and smooth. It’s sort of perfect for my Sonics tastes .The sound reproduction is perfect , crystal clear and no noise at all .The detailing and sound stage is on a totally different level altogether .

Ohhh yes they sound little bass shy out of the box. After listening to few trance and EDM tracks i felt these things certainly need an amplifier. I went ahead and plugged them to my Cowon d2+ which has one of the best sounding DAP .Music was very laid back ,the vocals are amazing. I tried listening to few track of A state of Trance radio show by Armin Van Buuren .The sound stage is so awesome, that you feel as if you are right there in the studio.

Now since its a dynamic earphone it certainly does need a good burn-in. I kept them for ~200 hrs of burn-in with pink noise and white noise. During this 1-2 weeks of burn-in I also went out looking for a better amplifier to pair with the RE-1 cause from what I had been suggested by other RE-1 users, the RE-1 needed more juice and power to show their true capability.

I did have the Fiio E5 but unlike the RE-2, the E5 didn't do any wonders with the RE-1.The pairing of RE-2 with E5 is like a match made in heaven but I can't say the same for RE-1.The E5 with RE-1 just sounds bloated and the only difference is the increase in volume .There isn't much change to the sound signature as such and the bass sounds artificial.

I was in total dilemma with the choices I had ,spoke to a audiophile friend of mine to take his suggestion. He uses a RE1 told me that do not spend too much on a headphone amplifier as of now as it would be my first headphone amp .So I decided to keep the budget low and Brendon suggested me to pick up the Cmoy amp luckily a head-fier was selling of his JDS Labs cMoy for $45 AUD shipped worldwide
smily_headphones1.gif
.Had few conversation with him and picked up the amp. Let me not discuss n dept about the amp.
[size=large]
Sound Quality
[/size]

Testing After 200 hrs Burn-in

Without amp :All the songs were sounding really good but the volume was low and bass was not upto the mark .The Cmoy boosts the volume level and since its a bass boost amp once i toggled the bass boost switch and the bass shined out. Overall clarity increased by 40% and the best part with the amp is that one can change the op amps to suit your music taste. I was using the default op-amp which could satisfy the bass head within me.

Here are my test tracks ( all of them at 320kbps or FLAC's) .I am using the cMoy BB Amp with the Cowon D2+ .

Trance:Global DJ Broadcast ( 1-10-2009-Birmingham)-Live gig.

Some tracks in these shows have some amazing bass, especially the tracks Koolhaus (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction) was sounding amazing .The mids were smooth and perfect and bass was punchy and tight. Songs which had vocals like the Nothing at All ( Elevation remix) was sounding brilliant. As I mentioned earlier the complete sound signature is very laid back and a little airy .Sound stage is like super wide and makes you feel as If you are present at the live gig. The sound stage is one of the best i have seen by far and the best assets of the RE-1.

Rock/Hard Rock/ Metal/Heavy Metal:

Scorpions -Rock You Like A Hurricane
Metallica -Nothing Else Matters
Oasis -Wonderwall
Children Of Bodom - Lake Bodom.
Godsmack-I Stand Alone

With this genre i had goose bumps with few songs as they were sounding heavenly, I could hear guitar picks very clearly for example in the song, Nothing else matters ( all of us know its an amazing song) ..Vocals sound sweet and natural. The highs aren't even one bit bright or sharp. Though the high's are not very detailed , they do the job pretty well . The sound is somewhat balanced , smooth and laid back .It makes you truly enjoy the music and there were moments I really went crazy listening to some tracks.

Hip-Hop:
Pitbull feat.Lil Jon - krazy
Pitbull- Hotel Room
David Guetta-Sexy B**ch (Ft. Akon)

Hip-hop is one genre I am not a big fan of , but I do listen to some particular tracks once in a while.It's also one of the genres which demands good speed and bass,lots of bass. The RE-1 with an amp easily satisfy the bass but the speed could be a little better. It's mainly due to the laid back sound signature I guess. Nevertheless hip-hop tracks do sound good if not the best with RE-1.

I had few funny moments with the RE1's.I had listened to the Global DJ Broadcast Denver USA ( Trance lovers would know why i am talking about this gig) .I had hooked them up to my laptop with the amp.I was screaming at top of my voice all of sudden because of the awesome feeling of being there at the live gig .. The goosebumps moment thanks to the awesome sound stage.My roomies thought i had gone mad :ashamed:.I had tough time explaining them what happened .

The overall sound can be summarized as detailed and smooth warm mid range, punchy bass and decent highs.A completely laid back sound with really wide sound stage.
[size=medium]
Sound Quality
8/10 without an amp
10/10 with an decent amp.
[/size]

[size=large]Value and Conclusion[/size]

With the price of $89 shipped worldwide these are one of the best earphones ,They used to retails at $199 sometime back.They are worth every money spent.These are perfect for someone taking thier first steps in audiophile quality music . They are not for someone looking at completely neutral and accurate sound ,for that the RE-0 might be a better choice but for some looking at a nice musical pair of IEMs the RE-1s are definitely to be considered.

UP's
* Top-notch sound quality.
* Wide soundstage
* Laid back music
* Smooth bass and treble extension
* Punchy and tight bass
* Good fit, comfortable.
* Durable

Downs
*Needs an amp to shine.
*The need for an amp means losing portability.

[size=medium]Over all rating 9.5/10[/size]

Some Random Pics

p1010262m.jpg

My Old setup( Now i have a iBasso D4 Mamba
L3000.gif
)

p1010281d.jpg

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes good review but... RE1s cost more than the RE0? =O?

Thank You .Both RE1 and RE0 are priced $89 shipped worldwide.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 5
great review after sending in my re0 to be replaced i decided to buy the re1's i watched a movie with them on they were amazing.... heavier stuff*dethklok* is amazing but I do prefer the re0's when i listen to modest mouse soft rock i guess LOL ? but overall I can see myself just switching them out depending on my mood and what i want to listen to but they both have different signatures but still awesome SQ and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back