My reborn of listening to music
Feb 14, 2005 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
As I mentioned before I have got the diagnosis impairment of hearing. I haven’t got hearing aids yet.
But I tried to compensate after my hearing graph with equalisation in minidisk. And my God. It was a reborn of listening to music. I understood that I haven’t heard the music with full life for a long time. I had forgotten how it should sound.
Doesn’t matter what headphones I have. The same reborn with PX100 as HD595 with amp. You can never imagine. I thought I had lost interest for music last year. I didn’t understand why. Music has been my life from I was 10 years old. Now I know why.
I now enjoy all my favourites. From Elvis Presley to Brahms. I am unsure if it ever has happened that a man was so happy getting the diagnosis of for him earlier hidden diagnosis.
I thank God for my reborn of listening to music. Really, I am a happy man now.

Georg

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 3
Sounds great!!

I think I know what you mean.
I'm 'music-dependant' as well ... and I've been experiencing a similar phenomenon lately, with a fluctuating "hearing loss" due to stress/hypertension.
I've realized that indeed it can get as far as to spoil your enjoyment of music.

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
As I mentioned before I have got the diagnosis impairment of hearing. I haven’t got hearing aids yet.
But I tried to compensate after my hearing graph with equalisation in minidisk. And my God. It was a reborn of listening to music. I understood that I haven’t heard the music with full life for a long time. I had forgotten how it should sound.
Doesn’t matter what headphones I have. The same reborn with PX100 as HD595 with amp. You can never imagine. I thought I had lost interest for music last year. I didn’t understand why. Music has been my life from I was 10 years old. Now I know why.
I now enjoy all my favourites. From Elvis Presley to Brahms. I am unsure if it ever has happened that a man was so happy getting the diagnosis of for him earlier hidden diagnosis.
I thank God for my reborn of listening to music. Really, I am a happy man now.

Georg

Congratulations!
Enjoy it
but
please
be careful.
From now on you have to listen to moderate levels or you are risking further hearing damage.
The uneven frequenzy response of your ears is due to dysfuntional tiny hairs/nerves in your inner ear.
You are able to compensate by cranking up the relative volume of the correspondent frequenzies (equalizing), but there is a downside.
If you are listening to an average SPL of 90 dB (safe for several hours every day) and have to boost e.g. the 6kHz region to +8db your few remaining resonating hairs in the inner ear are stressed by 98 dB.This means short listening sessions or a risk of further damage, and you can't technically compensate without limits.There's no hearing aid for the totally deaf.

Disclaimer:
I'm no expert, please ask an audiologist for advice.
Maybe he's able to tell you what's a safe listening level regarding the actual remaining frequenzy response of your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back