My rant: nothing in my inventory makes me happy.
Feb 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonderful, then please do give up, and stop engaging in frivolous arguments with people on this board who you cannot change the opinion of, regardless of how wrong they may or may not be. You obviously would rather just argue than take the advice of people like myself who are trying to recommend that you try a relatively low-cost solution that would offer you a completely different perspective from what you have right now, or even listen to those just trying to figure out how they can help you.

Let me start over...I'm very direct at times and people like you just annoy the heck out of me because, to me, it seems like all you're trying to do is challenge people and start arguments without the intention of taking anyone's advice.

I really don't get this at all. The OP is not saying the HD600 he has is crap which we all know is mostly attributed to inadequate amping. He's saying that some of his gear has lost the sparkle they used to have. He's also said he likes a more forward presentations, something most full sized headphones don't aim at. Thus the suggestion of Grados.

Yes he needs a better dac and an amp but is that going make his HD600 sound like what he wants? Maybe not. That's the point though.

I like most of you am tired of people dismissing headphones because they refuse to acknowledge the simple truth that the rest of their gear is not good enough. I don't think this particular thread is one of them though.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #62 of 83
Given what you say you are looking for in a headphone, I have to believe that the 225i is exactly what you need. I have the 325i's and the sound is definitely aggressive and upfront. The sound-stage is quite narrow, but I believe you stated that you didn't want too much sound-stage. Compared to my Senns it is definitely a different experience, so hopefully they are what you are looking for. I am curious how different pads change the sound and that is something I will have to try in the future.

P.S. I am new to this so if the terms I used are spot on, that is the reason. I am still learning
normal_smile .gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't get this at all. The OP is not saying the HD600 he has is crap which we all know is mostly attributed to inadequate amping. He's saying that some of his gear has lost the sparkle they used to have. He's also said he likes a more forward presentations, something most full sized headphones don't aim at. Thus the suggestion of Grados.

Yes he needs a better dac and an amp but is that going make his HD600 sound like what he wants? Maybe not. That's the point though.

I like most of you am tired of people dismissing headphones because they refuse to acknowledge the simple truth that the rest of their gear is not good enough. I don't think this particular thread is one of them though.

C3PO agrees with you

P2230100.jpg

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #64 of 83
Nice headphone stand, where did you get that
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #65 of 83
lol i got that a few years ago for Xmas. I got a vader head and this C3P0. None of the others had heads good for laying headphones on though. Its a cookie jar ! :p

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #66 of 83
Cookie jar or not this one looks great, I' ll definitely try to get myself one.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #68 of 83
I'd recommend giving your ears a rest for a few days before your Grados come in (from this, you can infer I support the idea of purchasing them) Whenever I start to get used to my headphones, I pull out Cowon's stock earbuds, or forgo music for a day or so. (my room-mate plays some on his laptop speakers when he's here, so I'm not wholly bereft of music.) This certainly helps my feelings later on.

Of course, you should take thin with a grain of salt (I believe that's proper use of the idiom) as I only have one set of real headphones, and they're coming from my laptop at the moment. I'm putting in an order for parts to build a CKKIII soon, but that'll take time.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I collect headphones. About few months ago I won a contest and got serious audio gear. Included was a HD 600 ( already owned the 650 ), a 3322 amp, and a Yamaha CD-S700. Woke up one morning to the smell of smoke and my cat freaking out. Something shorted out or blew up inside the CD-s700 and it started to melt the 3322 that rest resting on it. Was on fire for a minute or two while i was sleeping apparently. I saved the HD 600, no harm to it even though it was resting near by. So I've had the chance to test the other headphones through a great set up, but again its the headphones and not the amp. I can get to a close sound that i want with the pro 750s and the HD 650s with foobar. But the bass is always ruined when i try to calibrate the EQ to my liking to make it less harsh on the highs, but more forward. I did not get to test the ultrasone 750 on that amp obviously, but like i said earlier today i was at a friends house with an expensive set up, models ive never used or seen so they must have been hella expensive and it doesnt help the pro 750s to become more to my liking lol

i dont want anyone to get me wrong, the 750s are freaking awesome. They are almost as good as the HD 650s in classical, and equally as nice for rock as any other can ive had. It's just not quite there for me
tongue.gif

Alright; first and foremost unplug your equipment before you go to bed, cats bite things and on occasion the Underpants Elves trip over wires.

Second; I like Ultrasone because I like a forward sound presence, fast, detailed and in-your-face... have you tried the 5.1 Headphone experience - This will make your headphones come alive.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #71 of 83
Most of the posters are right, if you want forward sound, Grado is your best bet. The AT and Ultrasone could probably get you somewhat closer to upfront sound as well.

The other suggestions to upgrade your front end are probably true. I guess you know this by now and if you're really serious about solving your problem, that's the direction to take. What you get at the end is a function of what goes before. If you're into compressed music, there's no way you can hear what your cans are really capable of no matter how hard you try.

Cool C3PO bust by the way.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #72 of 83
Sometimes silence pauses help to give you fresh impressions of the sound. I sometimes don't listen to music to be more open to the sound, sometimes days.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #73 of 83
Maybe you are listening to the gear far more than listening to the music. Change your focus and you might forget the gear for a bit. If you still don't enjoy your music, then maybe try some new CD's. Then pick up a set of Sony v6's and be done with it!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back