My rant: nothing in my inventory makes me happy.
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... he just started a thread last week ranting on Grado's quality and comfort, so I doubt he'll give those a try.

WRONG.

My thread (rant?) was about Synergy with a particular desktop headphone amplifier, and how I hated the Grados out of anything else I plugged them into, and I didn't really care for the amplifier much with any other headphone either.

Link provided as we all have basic literary skills or we couldn't post here, and you obviously didn't read what I wrote.

Headphone Synergy. With an amplifier. Why is that so hard to grasp?

There has been some discussion of the subject at Head-fi, lol.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #48 of 83
swbf2cheater, I think I'm having a similar dilemma. I don't have quite as many headphones as you do, but none satisfy me as much as my speakers do. I don't think it's the nature of headphone vs. speaker sound--I think it's just that my headphones aren't to my taste. The "best" cans in my collection are the HD600s, and they've never quite done it for me. The most I've been able to power them with on my modest budget is a Ray Samuels Hornet (from iPod line out) or the headphone jack on my aging Denon CDP. I find the 600s a little veiled, distant, and uninvolving for my taste. On the other hand, I'm very skittish about anything that might be described as forward or bright, which was what led me to Senn over Grado in the first place. (I had to buy unheard at the time). I keep reading posts about how if I just man up and purchase a $1K amp, I'll be rewarded with a totally different headphone. I understand the logic, but my gut tells me that it's a matter of finding a set of cans that "speak to me," if you will. I mean, look at all the people who don't know an amp from an ampersand giving rave reviews to the 600s on Amazon. I have no doubt that they love them, and I can certainly admire them for what they do well. But I'm having more fun with my Yuins and Denon D-1001s, which makes me curious about high end cans that are more to my liking, not $1K amps for cans I can't seem to love.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need a different pair of headphones. You just need a serious amp and source upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly my thoughts!

+1

The source and/or amplifier can make a huge difference.

I have listened to a couple of Grado's and I'm not sure if they are going to be the solution to your problems.

Have you considered recabling?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I give up...

It's about time...

Does that mean you're gonna get an amp?
regular_smile .gif

No hard feelings, I hope
redface.gif
!

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #51 of 83
I wasn't talking 'bout you, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WRONG.

My thread (rant?) was about Synergy with a particular desktop headphone amplifier, and how I hated the Grados out of anything else I plugged them into, and I didn't really care for the amplifier much with any other headphone either.

Link provided as we all have basic literary skills or we couldn't post here, and you obviously didn't read what I wrote.

Headphone Synergy. With an amplifier. Why is that so hard to grasp?

There has been some discussion of the subject at Head-fi, lol.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't talking 'bout you, lol.

Whoops
redface.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

I give up...

I hope you don't, not so fast at least.

To clarify somethings first:
1) what exactly are you not happy about your current setup?
2) have you heard another setup (friend/headfier) which are happy with?

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

I give up...

Wonderful, then please do give up, and stop engaging in frivolous arguments with people on this board who you cannot change the opinion of, regardless of how wrong they may or may not be. You obviously would rather just argue than take the advice of people like myself who are trying to recommend that you try a relatively low-cost solution that would offer you a completely different perspective from what you have right now, or even listen to those just trying to figure out how they can help you.

Let me start over...I'm very direct at times and people like you just annoy the heck out of me because, to me, it seems like all you're trying to do is challenge people and start arguments without the intention of taking anyone's advice.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very direct at times and people like you just annoy the heck out of me because, to me, it seems like all you're trying to do is challenge people and start arguments without the intention of taking anyone's advice.

I can relate.

It seems like more and more people, and not just on Head-fi, only hear what they want to hear, when they could be getting the benefit of a different perspective. I get impatient, and react correspondingly at times.

Working on that
evil_smiley.gif

Now that I look at it again, the original post could be considered inflammatory and argumentative at it's core; that tone continued and manifested itself through the OP's reactions to any suggested advice that challenged the original assumption.

Psych 101: Sometimes when I am "told" to go away...
Well, lets just say that maybe I should have been invited to share more
wink.gif
!

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #57 of 83
I have a dandy pair of PortaPro's that never fail. Let me know if you want to trade that pair of ho-hum HD650's for 'em.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I get where you are coming from. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, your primo cans just don't sound right. Could be your ears adjusting to air pressure or the weather or the seasons. Happens to me more frequently than I would like.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a dandy pair of PortaPro's that never fail. Let me know if you want to trade that pair of ho-hum HD650's for 'em.
tongue.gif

What a nice exchange program.

With that in mind I would like your Pro 750s; I have for trade Nemo Digital Spongebob Squarepants Wrap Around Headphones. Now before you say no swbf2cheater let me ask you; Do your Ultrasones have: A sculpted pineapple jack? A Gary the Snail wire slider that slithers up and down the wires? Interchangeable Spongebob face plates? ...Think about it!

P12503259.jpg

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #59 of 83
^ LOL. How could anyone pass up a trade like that!

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you don't, not so fast at least.

To clarify somethings first:
1) what exactly are you not happy about your current setup?
2) have you heard another setup (friend/headfier) which are happy with?

I am not happy with the sound produced. I am into a forward sound. I have heard a setup that i was happy with but it was hella expensive :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG!!! This is like buying a $500 graphics card for your Pentium 3...

How on earth did you manage to make so many decent headphone purchases and not once take a peek in the amplification section of this site? ~ There holds the answer to your dilemma.
regular_smile .gif

I collect headphones. About few months ago I won a contest and got serious audio gear. Included was a HD 600 ( already owned the 650 ), a 3322 amp, and a Yamaha CD-S700. Woke up one morning to the smell of smoke and my cat freaking out. Something shorted out or blew up inside the CD-s700 and it started to melt the 3322 that rest resting on it. Was on fire for a minute or two while i was sleeping apparently. I saved the HD 600, no harm to it even though it was resting near by. So I've had the chance to test the other headphones through a great set up, but again its the headphones and not the amp. I can get to a close sound that i want with the pro 750s and the HD 650s with foobar. But the bass is always ruined when i try to calibrate the EQ to my liking to make it less harsh on the highs, but more forward. I did not get to test the ultrasone 750 on that amp obviously, but like i said earlier today i was at a friends house with an expensive set up, models ive never used or seen so they must have been hella expensive and it doesnt help the pro 750s to become more to my liking lol

i dont want anyone to get me wrong, the 750s are freaking awesome. They are almost as good as the HD 650s in classical, and equally as nice for rock as any other can ive had. It's just not quite there for me
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back