My Radiohead 360: Kid A -- wow!
Feb 24, 2005 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I feel like an idiot now, because two years ago I once started a thread on how much I disliked Radiohead. Boy, was I wrong. Gradually, gradually I warmed up to OK Computer, so that it finally became a great album to me. Well, this weekend I picked up "Kid A". What a great album! Dammit, I wish I would have it this album first. It would have made my Radiohead conversion so much easier. What a beautiful peice of work!

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 27
i wholeheartedly agree about Kid A. i'm lukewarm on the rest of radiohead's discography, but Kid A is just really superlative.

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 27
I like Kid A a lot. What do you think of hail to the thief?

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 27
Glad to see your on board, i am probably one of the biggest fans of radiohead (i bet everyone says that), i have all their songs transcribed and i can break down their compositions to every single detail, i just think they are amazing. I believe kid a is their best album, kid a is like bitter sweet dark chocolate, so warm and harmionically rich, so melodically varied and interesting, the first time you taste it you are like what is this crap, but you try it some more and now you realize you like the darker bitter chocolate more than that sweet pop chocolate you always thought you liked. I hated kid a, then when i went to their concert in august 2001 in chicago, and i heard them play all the kid a songs live, that was the most amazing and satifying musical event i have ever been a part of, and i have sung in various operas and musicals and performances so thats saying a lot!

I like hail to the thief, i simply need to give it more time, after listening to radioheads whole career including b-sides and unreleased tracks, im just kind of radiohead-ed out, you know? I remember 1st listening to ok computer, i listened to airbag, and at the start of paranoid android, immediately turned it off and didn't listen to it again for a whole year, and then i became obsessed, so i think the same will happen with hail to the thief. It reminds me of kid a/amnesiac, but it has a better sense of groove, thom yorke referred this album as the shagging album, i can hear where hes coming from, hes awesome with rhythm, hail may be their most rhytmically dynamic album.

Sorry i went into this long diatribe, i really do love radiohead...bye

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Glad to see your on board, i am probably one of the biggest fans of radiohead (i bet everyone says that), i have all their songs transcribed and i can break down their compositions to every single detail, i just think they are amazing. I believe kid a is their best album, kid a is like bitter sweet dark chocolate, so warm and harmionically rich, so melodically varied and interesting, the first time you taste it you are like what is this crap, but you try it some more and now you realize you like the darker bitter chocolate more than that sweet pop chocolate you always thought you liked. I hated kid a, then when i went to their concert in august 2001 in chicago, and i heard them play all the kid a songs live, that was the most amazing and satifying musical event i have ever been a part of, and i have sung in various operas and musicals and performances so thats saying a lot!

I like hail to the thief, i simply need to give it more time, after listening to radioheads whole career including b-sides and unreleased tracks, im just kind of radiohead-ed out, you know? I remember 1st listening to ok computer, i listened to airbag, and at the start of paranoid android, immediately turned it off and didn't listen to it again for a whole year, and then i became obsessed, so i think the same will happen with hail to the thief. It reminds me of kid a/amnesiac, but it has a better sense of groove, thom yorke referred this album as the shagging album, i can hear where hes coming from, hes awesome with rhythm, hail may be their most rhytmically dynamic album.

Sorry i went into this long diatribe, i really do love radiohead...bye

yea...what he said^

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 27
I'd put hail to the thief second to OK computer, followed by kid A, the bends, amnesiac. I don't get along so well with Pablo honey.
I've seen them live twice now, once at glastonbury and once in an the tour they did a year or two back. Both times they were utterly brilliant.

Jonny Greenwoods done some new orchestral stuff that I'm going along to hear in march along with some orchestral renditions of radiohead songs, will be interesting to see what its like.

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 27
Pick up Amnesiac, it's Kid A Part 2, recorded during same sessions.

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 27
i dont know im a big fan of radiohead but never really got into kid a. my first album by them was Amnesiac. thats ok but my favorite of their ablums were hail to the theif and ok computer. the bends was also very good
cool.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Pick up Amnesiac, it's Kid A Part 2, recorded during same sessions.

Will do, dude.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i wholeheartedly agree about Kid A. i'm lukewarm on the rest of radiohead's discography, but Kid A is just really superlative.

I concur, and as Markl suggested, I also enjoy Amnesiac. I have yet to sit down with Hail to the Thief.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 27
amnesiac is more patchy, it starts off mediocre but don't get put off. It has Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates and Life In A Glass House - those three songs are entirely worth the price of the album. Especially Life in a Glass House, which is just genius.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 27
mmm...Radiohead.

I have to say that Kid A is my favorite album. While I think HTTT and Amnesiac have better songs on them, they're not nearly as gratifying to sit down and listen through.

@recstar - I agree as far as rhythm is concerned. Having performed a few of them, i'd say Go to Sleep is fantastic if your group can pull it off. I certainly had a blast singing it. I was planning on listing a few songs from the album that show most prominently the varied rhythm, but then i realized that i had nearly the entire album down.
rolleyes.gif
Suffice it to say that it's a fun listen.

Back to Kid A:
Deep, rich, dark - yes; a lovely disc that i'm glad you enjoy, Chad.

I've grown to love most to all of their albums/b-sides/bootlegs, but really identify best with the Kid A//Amnesiac sessions the best. Live recordings of some of those songs (namely Like Spinning Plates) have impressed the hell out of me, and i truely enjoy being able to fall in love with two totally different versions of their songs.

We're lucky to have a group like Radiohead to listen to. Rock on, all.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 27
of all the songs that i have heard live from radiohead, definitely the kid a tracks are my favorite. During their 2001 tour they started all their shows with national anthem, and johnny would come out with his fizzed out radio box thing and just go crazy. Thom and his crazy satanic dance during idiotque, the spaced out keyboard effects from everything in its right place, and the sweeping drums and groove of how to disappear completely are simply amazing. I have a live recording in berlin 2000 that is considered by many to be the ultimate live radiohead recording, there is a version of kid a that is out of this world, thom plays the main theme on some twisted distorted toy piano thing that just makes it sound like its from a fairy tale, coolness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back