My proposed workout rig. Opinions and suggestions needed.
Dec 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AyeCee

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I've switched my music library to lossless music, my iPod nano 3g has become obsolete, it's only 4GB and un-rockboxable(?). So I had to switch to using my iPhone 4s as my source. Using an app called Flac Player, I can use it to play Flac files, and although its not an audiophile DAP, it does see improvements from the Flac files, yet not to the standard I'd like. Also, when I'm working out using my phone as a source, it ALWAYS falls out of my pocket, which is obviously not a good thing.

So here is my proposed rig:
Source: Sansa Clip Zip 4GB $37 (with rockbox ofc)
Memory: Sandisc 32GB microSDHC $23
AMP: Digizoid ZO2.3 $99
IEM's: My beloved UM3X RC (already owned)

What do you guys think? I like it as it is really small, cheap, and the sansa has a clip, so I won't have to worry about it falling out of my pocket. The only think I'm not sure about is the Zo2, is it really necessary? I might not get it straight away, but I guess it's an option. Is there something else I should be considering?

Anyway let me know your opinions, and suggestions. They would be greatly appreciated.
-Adrian :D

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 10
You could try starting with a FiiO E6. Not sure about the requirements of the Westones but with my ER4Ps it made a noticeable difference over the HPO of my Fuze (even without using LOD).

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 10
no need for zo, i hate people wasting time with amp nonsense in the gym.  Your not doing critical listening so why bother having the extra bulk, your in there to work out first and foremost not to listen to music.

cheap good bassy headphones (fx101) and the clip zip for me.

Go with a cheap replacable headphone instead of the w3mx.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 10
I can not figure out why people want all this crap for a workout. Best workout rig in the world is an iPod Shuffle in an h20 Audio (who now appears to be called X-1) interval. You can put it on the back of a headsweat cap, or goggles for swimming. Short waterproof headphones down to your ears. Will never get messed up by sweat, and the cord will never get in your way. bought the pair off Amazon for a little south of $100.

EDIT: BAM

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Well I wont be swimming, and BA drivers aren't as vulnerable to moisture as dynamics are, so my UM3x should be fine, there is no need to replace my iem's. And i guess the ZO2 isnt really necessary, it's probably worth my while saving that $100 anyway. I guess the Clip will do. Thanks guuys

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I wonder what kind of experience it is to listen to IEM's under water o_O

£9 delivered and works like a charm, totally takes the boredom out.  Actually I load it with audiobooks for long openwater swims.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629895/review-very-budget-waterproof-mp3-player

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Well I wont be swimming, and BA drivers aren't as vulnerable to moisture as dynamics are, so my UM3x should be fine, there is no need to replace my iem's. And i guess the ZO2 isnt really necessary, it's probably worth my while saving that $100 anyway. I guess the Clip will do. Thanks guuys

Works well for any workouts, so long as you wear a hat. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I wonder what kind of experience it is to listen to IEM's under water o_O

It's pretty cool, actually. I can go forever swimming laps with that on.

Quote:
£9 delivered and works like a charm, totally takes the boredom out.  Actually I load it with audiobooks for long openwater swims.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629895/review-very-budget-waterproof-mp3-player

Wow, that is really cool. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I can not figure out why people want all this crap for a workout. Best workout rig in the world is an iPod Shuffle in an h20 Audio (who now appears to be called X-1) interval. You can put it on the back of a headsweat cap, or goggles for swimming. Short waterproof headphones down to your ears. Will never get messed up by sweat, and the cord will never get in your way. bought the pair off Amazon for a little south of $100.

EDIT: BAM

I agree 100%.  The Shuffle is fantastic for any workouts.  I also have the H2O Audio case for it.  Very, cool doing laps while listening to Miles Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back