My promised review of the Sennheiser HD497
Feb 5, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 18
I'm afraid I just do not find the positive attributes of the 497 vs the Grado 60/80 cans. I A/B/C'ed these from a mid-level Denon receiver's headphone jack on some familiar Jazz CD's recently and I must say that I found the 497's to be a distant 3rd behind the Grado's. The clarity of woodwinds (e.g. clarinets and flutes) is just not there for me with the 497's. The fullness of bass response I also found lacking in this comparison (e.g. the harmonics of a string bass did not sound like a string bass on the 497). I should point out that all 3 of these cans were well-broken in, since I know the Grado's improve with break-in & would assume the Senns may as well.
I do not begrudge those who enjoy the 497, but I am afraid I do not see a Senn displacing my SR80's short of a well-amped HD580/600 (and even those Senn's may be a bit too warmish for my tastes). I enjoy the search for something better, but it must be better to my ear.

Jon

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 18
Jackm---
twist tie will work fine. put the loop halfway through the cord and then stick the loop in your pocket or carrying case. Cheap, simple and flexible in case you ever need the longer cord.

Jona---
it is a tough choice for me, and I can see how you can like the Grados better. I am just glad that we have so many fine choices for relatively inexpensive cans these days, and the 497 is a light year step for Senns in terms of performance/dollar ratio. And by owning both, my choice for any given day is easily varied!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back