My promised review of the Sennheiser HD497
Feb 4, 2002 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

violeta88

500+ Head-Fier
When I first looked at the Sennheiser HD497's, the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover" came to mind. But I couldn't help it. These were so ugly and were made so cheaply, in China even, that I had no faith in their sound quality whatsoever. They didn't even have gold-plated plugs. Sheesh! Let's call them the ugly duckling Sennheisers.

I listened to the Sennheiser HD 497's for 40 hours, mentally noting the sonic change, and what a change it was. When I first listened to the headphones, I was in aural shock. Back then I didn't know why. But from reading the response from the first full length review of these headphones, somebody noted that they thought they were too busy. Bingo. That was the cause of my dizziness. Well, after 40 hours of break-in, that and all of the other defects go away. What other defects you say? In the beginning there is a harsh treble, cymbals and drums sound mechanical and the bass seems bridled in some way. Well, after 40 hours everything changes. The harsh treble and busy quality metamorphisize into extreme detail without harshness, cymbals drums and the bass, not to mention all other instruments and sounds come out with so much unbridled musical passion and vibrance that you will look at these headphones and your $60-69 invoice and say "Huh???".

I was going to do a comparison between the Grado SR-80 and the Sennheiser HD497, but the SR-80 sucked so bad in comparison that I had to spare it the shame. I'll tell you this though, the Grado's had no soundstage, poor stereo imaging, and a really nasty veil over the treble that clouded everything. Yuck.

By the way I should mention that I am using the headphone output of a Samsung DVD-M301 DVD player since its quality is superior to my other headphone jack, the one in my Denon receiver. Let me explain, it's cleaner sounding than the one im my Denon, which hisses.

There isn't a headphone out there, other than the HD477, like the HD497. The HD497 seems to be a combination of two more expensive headphones, the Grado SR-125 and the Sennheiser HD570. The HD570's grace, soundstage, and smoothness was combined with the SR-125's detail and punchy bass, then all the qualities were improved upon and placed into an excessively cheap package, in order to meet the $60-69 price point. Sennheiser, thank you. There is no way I can afford a pair of HD600's, but I can have a great taste for 60 clams with the HD 497's. Ugly ducklings with spendy drivers. Just imagine how much you would save if they did that with the HD600's, and no I'm not talking about the HD580's.

Feb 4, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 18
Thanks for the info, violeta88. Glad you like the 497's. I think they're good sounding cans too, I just wish they weren't so d**mn ugly!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 18
great review, it REALLY sounds better than the grado sr-80

how COMFORTABLE is the hd 497? i find the senn. 490 live/495 to be comfy. is it MORE COMFORTABLE than old senn. 490/495

someone should do a comparison between the senn. hd497 and koss ksc-35 or hd477 vs. hd 497

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 18
Comfort wise, the 497 is okay, but the 495 is better. The 497 sounds better. As to the KSC-35 vs. the 497, I was talking to Todd at Headroom and we both agreed that the 497's beat anything under $100, and I think they hold their own with the best $150 headphones, so the KSC-35 will probably lose the contest. That said the KSC-35 is a great headphone, just not as great as the HD497.

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the review, Violeta. I've been curious about these and the 495s for a while. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks low-end Grados sound veiled. I'm feeling very ambivalent about my SR-60s....

Feb 4, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 18
Violeta raises a great point. I too am approaching the40 hr mark with my 497s and I have to say they are beginning to nudge my Grados off of the primary listening position. The Senns are crisp and well articulated and go head to head with the Grados in that unique "up close" soundstage that most inexpensive Senns have lacked until now. They are still very ugly though, but even that is sort of charming! I think these headphones are an excellent deal at $60 and they do grow on you over time, so take a listen if you can!!

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Yes to all of the above. Mssr. Sony, nice to see that the Senn is finally knocking your Grados down a peg! Also, to the earlier poster who asked about a comparison between the 477 and 497, I have provided this comparison (about 1 week ago). Basically, I find them to be very comparable, with the 497 providing a better top end (more detail, better soundstage), and being better suited for jazz and classical. If your tastes lean to rock, R&B, the 477 is an excellent choice, and it is $10 cheaper and more comfy than the 497 to boot.

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 18
The 497s excellence is not that surprising. The Grado SR60 is a comparatively old design that completely whupped arse on the cheaper Senns when it first came out. Senn took the Grados to the lab, did some reverse engineering, and a few years later produced a strong challenger, maybe even a best in class. This is how technology is supposed to work, given competitors of roughly equal competitive power. More benefit to the consumer! And in Grado's defense, the SR60s still seem sturdier (though not by much!) and more attractive. I'm happy to have both sets!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 18
I don't know if I'm the man for it as I only own the 497s, but I have listened to the 570s extensively in various audio shops.

For what it's worth, I have always thought the 570s unsuited for much beyond classical music. The bass response seemed pretty minimal, and the soundstage seemed very constrained and artificial, lacking involvement and definitely not having the "natural sound" claimed on the box. Trebles were handled nicely, but midrange seemed pretty ordinary, sort of recessed actually, and bass subpar. The phones were very comfy, but seemed to be made from lower quality plastics, not at all quality materials like the 580 or 600.

The 497s are more versatile, have a greater sense of attack, and have a more involving soundstage. I like them just as much across the board with classical, jazz and rock. They are also half the price, more easily driven with portables, and just generally more balanced and exciting. The 570s are more comfortable, but that's about all I would give them. And the box is cooler!

As stated, someone who owns both phones would be the best commentator on this, but I feel that I have enough experience with the 570s to give at least these superficial impressions. I was thinking of buying the 570s for a bit, so I made every effort to hear a lot about and from them before I bought, and I was glad I did!!

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 18
How can I shorten the cord on the 497?

I've got a new iPod, and I'm planning to buy a Sennheiser 497 (or maybe a 477). The 10-foot cord that Sennheiser puts on these cans gets in the way. I want a nice, thin, 4-foot cord. What's the best approach? Wack off 6 feet with a scissors and solder myself a new connector?

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 18
You might want to go to Sennheiser's website and call their phone number, because they might have a short replacement cable that works with the 497, since the cord is replaceable, that won't void your warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back