My PPA with Glassman DB working
May 19, 2005 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dviswa

100+ Head-Fier
After undoing a couple goofups and taking care of the grounding my PPA is singing. Boy am I enjoying this or what.

Thank you very much
* Tangent for STEPS and PPA design and the shop,
* PPL, Morsel for the design.
* Glassman, bg4533 for the Diamond buffers,
* thrice for the ELNA Silmic caps,
* MisterX for the Par Metal enclosure.

Dinesh

May 19, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
You gonna show us some pics?

I'm with him
smily_headphones1.gif

how much did the DB's end up costing?

May 19, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 14
I have not completed the case work
icon10.gif
. I will and take some pics and post them soon.

rmx,

do you want to know how much the DB costed or how much the amp costed? the DBs alone costed me $48. The entire amp, is a little difficult to measure, because I bought a lot of stuff because I was getting back into DIY after more than a decade long pause and I did not even have a soldering iron. Further I bought a lot of extra spares. In all there are probably more than 20 different transactions I will have to figure out before that number can be found.

After some burn-in, I will roll some op-amps and then on to my next project pete-millett hybrid
evil_smiley.gif

Regards,
Dinesh

May 19, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Dviswa, just the DB's - I've got a PPA already. $48 seems reasonable. I wonder if there's any more left... or I might just go with the larocco triads...

I'm in on that millet hybrid group buy too... funny how so many of us go down the same path. Have you considered using the millet hybrid in preamp config into your ppa? Should make for some great sound
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 14
rmx,

Are'nt we sheep?
biggrin.gif

I did check out the Larocco dyna bias buffer price. I saw one PPA equipped with the dyna bias buffers at the DC meet. They sounded great. I am thinking of buying one set of those and then try out different amp/buffer configurations. I will have PPA or Milett backend with Glassman DB or Larocco buffers front end.
icon10.gif

May 19, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Sheep is right
biggrin.gif

I'm doing the same thing. Millet -> PPA (eventually with DB's) ... cant wait till I can build the millet... at the price, unbeatable value.

May 20, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
Have you considered using the millet hybrid in preamp config into your ppa? Should make for some great sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Shhhhhhh, some of us have already tried it...
smily_headphones1.gif
It needs more testing but intial impressions were that it was very nice.

May 20, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Shhhhhhh, some of us have already tried it...
smily_headphones1.gif
It needs more testing but intial impressions were that it was very nice.

Damn! Are you suggesting that I increase the number of PCBs on order? My poor wallet
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Hehehe, your wallet and mine, my friend. If you read Ian and I's impressions of the M3 and PPA (in the amps forum) you'll see that we thought that the PPA, with a lesser source like an Ipod (even with -aps MP3s) was somewhat analytical and lacked the warmth of the M3. We didn't comment in that thread about the fact that we chained one of my Millett prototypes to the PPA and ran it with the Ipod as the review was getting long as it was and we didn't spend much time with the setup. But, our initial impressions of the PPA/MH combo were very good. The Millett added a great deal of warmth to the PPA without loosing very much of the killer detail. I'd like to experiment with this setup some more before forming any final opinions but unfortunately amp-time has really been lacking lately.

With any luck I'll get some more ear time with this setup in the next couple of weeks and be able to report back. And don't worry about adding boards to your order, even if you miss the group buy I've worked it out with Peter Millett that he'll be hosting the modified board files on his site so that anyone at any time can get the board. It'll cost a bit more in small quantities but the important thing is that it'll be there.

Nate

May 21, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Congrats dviswa. Any chance of posting pics? I'm currently working on a glassman buffers/black gates ppa at the moment too. Just gotta get the steps (1.0) in an enclosure and then its' time to fire it up and test. What cans are you using?

May 22, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Here are the pics folks. I will take some better ones later and post them. Either ways I figure they will not win any contest.

PPA inside
url]

PPA, STEPS and my DT 250-80
url]

url]

May 22, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks fresno bob, It was curious set of events. I was purchasing various components to get things rolling. The case was the last of my priorities and thus I had not bought them. Nate (n_maher) was selling his extra hammond case. I bought it, thinking I can either use it for the PS or the amp. Just then the Par-Metal group buy was going on. Joined it. At that point I was still trying to make up my mind on what to build, PPA (I had already bought the PCB), PPA V2 or a MMM. Not wanting to spend more money I decided on the smaller case because I already had one. During the same time the Glassman buffers group buy was happening, joined it. In the end things just fell in place
biggrin.gif
No real rhyme or reason
redface.gif

I suppose that same will happen again. I am participating in the n_maher/drewd lead GB for Millett hybrid. What might come off this is another franken amp
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back