My portable rig suggestions.
Feb 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

OmsJtmz32

100+ Head-Fier
Hi ppl, i am looking for a portable rig but i am very confused can anyone reccomend me some good combo which is lesser then 1k usd? If i use iphone 4 as my player and add a amp will it be good? Or should i get a new player and new amp or just a ibasso dx100. Thx for your help!

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 15
If you like your iPhone, you could buy a CLAS, FosteX HP-P1 or Cyper Labs Algorythm Solo. They're external DACS which should vastly improve the sound coming out your phone. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 15
Or the Go-DAP, one designed for the iPhone 4. 

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/amplifiers/venturecraft-go-dap-unit-4-0/

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 15
Would you be looking to buy headphones or IEMs?

Sound wise from what I've read, the Tera has the edge with IEMs but mightn't be powerful enough to use with a full sized set of headphones. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 15
The Tera Player is a bad match for IEMs / low impedance headphones (high output impedance, about ~11Ω). The iPhone 4 alone is a better match (1Ω). And if you really want to spend a lot of money, the DX100 is a good match too.

The TP also has a treble roll-off, whereas both the iPhone and the DX100 are flat all the way.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 15
If i were to spend the money on dx100, will it be better off if i spend the money on upgrading the iphone rig to get a better SQ? If i can get a better SQ with the iphone plus something else than the dx100 with the same amount of money, i would rather not buy the dx100.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Hi ppl, i am looking for a portable rig but i am very confused can anyone reccomend me some good combo which is lesser then 1k usd? If i use iphone 4 as my player and add a amp will it be good? Or should i get a new player and new amp or just a ibasso dx100. Thx for your help!

Quote:
Oh.. i will be using mostly be using it with iems. I already have a powerful amp for my headphones :)

I'm confused, do you have a port amp or is the one you say you have a desktop amp? 

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 15
Ok well for IEM's you most likely won't need another amp out of an iPhone (but choosing a DAP like Colorfly would most likely ensure you that you have plenty of enough power). As far as the DAC may go, well, the iPhone should be just fine despite their change in the DAC. I would personally go for a DAP committed to your music only so that you can store more on it and if you listen to uncompressed files, you can play them with no problem at all. What IEM(s) do you have if you don't mind?

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Heir audio tzar 90. Customs in the future, need to get older so i do not need to refit it next time

Hmm while still pretty sensitive those might be better suited with a stronger amp. Just get a DAP, and now you'll have a separate device for your music that provides much more power. I wouldn't worry about a DAC unless you get a amp/dac combo like E17. If you don't mind missing out on the aesthetics and general ease of use of an iPod and you can do without edited playlists and other general cable features that the iPod may offer then look through an assortment of Cowon/Colorfly/Sansa/Sony DAP's that could offer a better solution to you. Really though, you'll just have to do that search yourself to see what best fits your needs/

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Any of those DAP's above have a sufficient DAC already built in them. If you really want an external DAC though, look for a player with spdif out and hook it up to E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back