My POOR POOR HD595's
Oct 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

etiolate

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my pair of HD595's for, jeez, ummmm, four or five years now. They have served me well. I'm still not ready to get rid of them yet! There's just one problem that has presented itself in the last week. The velour is sort of splitting around the ear cup. There seems to be a seam there, and on one ear it's giving way. Now, I can't really feel a difference on my head when I'm wearing them, but it kinda scratches my ears when I take them off. (I just recently noticed how violently I seem to take them off now that I have already broken them)

Has anyone else had this problem?
Does a hot glue gun sound like a bad idea? Lol. If so, any other remedies? Would it cost a lot to send it in?

Thanks!
dt880smile.png

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 14
Probably your best bet is to buy a new set of pads. The foam is probably close to deteriorating, plus getting that thin fabric back in place would be a huge pain, if not impossible. Go to Sennheiser.com, the pads come with the foam that covers the driver (i think its one piece).

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 14
thanks a bunch. I'll look into that and tell you how it goes.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 14
Just get a HD650 or 600 and be done with it, cause its going to cost around a quarter of what one cost to get that repaired and if you haven't recently got new drivers those are probably worn out over the 5 years.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Earpads are easy to replace - I change mine every two or three years normally.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......... if you haven't recently got new drivers those are probably worn out over the 5 years.

biggrin.gif

You mean properly burned in.
biggrin.gif

I have headphones over 20 years old and still going strong - all I have done is replace the eadpads every few years.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earpads are easy to replace - I change mine every two or three years normally.

Yuck!
regular_smile .gif
3years without sending the ear pads to the dry cleaners?

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Seems like that does happen with HD595 and HD555 pads. Saw the same issue on a store model back in Shanghai, China. Replacement pads are available so no worries there. Glad to see someone's HD595 held up after all these years.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Just get a HD650 or 600 and be done with it, cause its going to cost around a quarter of what one cost to get that repaired and if you haven't recently got new drivers those are probably worn out over the 5 years.

I have never heard of drivers 'wearing out' before, certainly not after few years. I have speakers and headphones that are 20+ years old!

Simon

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

earpads don't cause that much!
and drivers don't die after five years...
i have seen speakers who are working fine after many years
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 14
ya, mine still sound great to me.
smily_headphones1.gif
. it's usually pretty obvious when drivers "wear out." obviously distortion and what not. where are these supposed replacement ear pads located?

btw, got a couple of the beatles remasted... omg. they aren't leaving any of my cd decks anytime soon. (well, unless sufjan wants to pop in)

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 14
oh shoot, i didn't see that part replacement finder from the first link until now.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 14
i checked sennheiser for replacement ear pads, but they don't seem to offer anything but replacement cables and headphone holders. i found some pads from a UK site, but i'd rather not pay that shipping, lol. anyone know anywhere in usa that provides replacement ear pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back