My PIMETA project: good news - bad news
Oct 20, 2004 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

knestle

100+ Head-Fier
I finally bagan to assemble my PIMETA today.

The good news:
The soldering went better than anticipated(much faster and easier than my cmoy, maybe its just practice).

The bad news:
With all the small parts and sockets on the board I opened the package containing my op-amps, only to find that AD8620AR/AD8610AR are SOIC package(ignorance will bite you in the ass every time), and I KNOW, I am NOT up to soldering SOIC parts.

1st multi-part question:
Are the AD8620AR/AD8610AR available in a DIP package(I searched the Ddigi-Key catalog pages until my eyes hurt)?
My other choices are AD843 at about the same price, or OPA627 at more than double the price (both with the additional cost of a BrownDog). Is the OPA627 worth the extra cost?

2nd multi-part question:
How is Digi-Key about exchanges?
or
Is anyone interested in AD8620AR/AD8610AR at a discounted price? Make an offer.

TIA

Have fun

Ken

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Are the AD8620AR/AD8610AR available in a DIP package?

Afraid not.

Quote:

How is Digi-Key about exchanges?

Outstanding.
As long as you have not handled the components to much you should not have any problem returning them.

Quote:

Is anyone interested in AD8620AR/AD8610AR at a discounted price? Make an offer.

How about you send me those opamps and I will mount them for you?
You pay only for shipping and for the browndogs (which of you live in the continental US would make the total about $8).
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 6
i had a crack at smt parts this week, with little soldering skill. i was surprised that it wasnt as hard as i thought. why don't you try it first? get the widdlest iron tip u can and go for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Good point ... it is a lot easier to solder SMP components then you think when you are standing there looking at it.

All it takes is some flux and a little patience.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
How about you send me those opamps and I will mount them for you?
You pay only for shipping and for the browndogs (which of you live in the continental US would make the total about $8).
smily_headphones1.gif

DONE!

They say a wise man knows his limitations.

I'll PM you about arrangements.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 6
I just recently installed the SMD AD8620 and 2 BUF643 on a MINT board and I too was surprised at how neat the result was (and my hands shake, too)--I just used a lot of patience and care, and borrowed advice from different sources. Used a 23W Weller iron and a (too big, but worked fine) standard chisel tip (using the corner of the chisel tip is great for heating one pad & pin at a time), used some paste flux to get things to flow where I wanted, and a cheap Rat Shack heatsink (big flat alligator clip) to hold the chips down for the first pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back