My parents want a new speaker system
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

t1n5l3y

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

My parents want a new speaker system, however I'm unsure what to recommend them considering the large amount of choices of brands and sets out there. They have been using the following for the past 25 years:

Technics SU-700 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
Technics SL-P120 Programmable Compact Disc Player
2 Wharfedale Delta 70 Speakers

My parents recently bought a new television as well and wish to have a system for both watching movies and listening to music and they listen to a wide variety of Blues about 90% of the time.
They do not have a set budget yet, but it'll probably be around 600-800 euros for a set of speakers and receiver. Apart form the television, the receiver is to be connected to their computer which acts as a source for both their music and movie needs.
While they would prefer a surround sound system, like a 5.1, the room is rather small and I don't know if that would be the best choice considering their budget. Although, considering the genre they listen to I'm wondering what would suffice, which may in the end well be a 5.1 system, I don't know at this point.

Below is a poorly drawn layout of the room, only to act as an indication:

Any recommendations based on the above would be wonderful.
Thanks for your time.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 6
5.1 and a receiver is probably difficult to do in your budget range. You'll might end up having to go with some kind HTIB speaker package that has speakers with tiny drivers. They may or may not perform as well as the Deltas.

Wharfedale still makes good speakers. You could do Wharfedale Diamond series across the front, and then keep the old Deltas for surrounds. Buy a receiver and wait on a sub.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
One thing that has caught my eye are the Arx speakers over at TheAudioInsider. I haven't seen anybody except for customers review it yet.

Coming from Europe, I don't think the shipping will make it worth it or?

Quote:
5.1 and a receiver is probably difficult to do in your budget range. You'll might end up having to go with some kind HTIB speaker package that has speakers with tiny drivers. They may or may not perform as well as the Deltas.

Wharfedale still makes good speakers. You could do Wharfedale Diamond series across the front, and then keep the old Deltas for surrounds. Buy a receiver and wait on a sub.

I have been asking around and got a recommendation for the Philips HTR9900. Although its a 7.1 set, it comes with a rebranded NAD T747 and currently the entire thing sells for 699 where I live. Any opinions on it?

The option for a 2.0 instead of a 5.1 is still open, if that makes for receiving more bang for the buck regarding sound quality in the end.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 6
PSB is always a great choice. Their entire lineup is really good. Look at the Elemental Designs (Swan) W6-6tc bookshelf speakers. They are gorgeous, work well near a wall (most speakers don't!), and they are excellent for blues and watching TV. They will need a subwoofer so check out Polk Audio subs. They are very musical and perform well beyond their price. I used this setup in my office with outstanding results. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back