My pair of ATH-ES7's arrived today.
May 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ericonomix

New Head-Fier
Purchased through JR.com. They were supposed to come last friday but something happened with UPS and I didn't get them until the following tuesday.

Overall first impression was that they are smaller in person than when I saw them through pictures. They look beautiful, I'm loving how sleek and stylish they are. One thing I noticed is that when they fit on your head they stick out a bit and look a little funny but then I remembered about this post http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...dshots-228313/ and did the mod and they fit TONS better and look an unbelievable amount better as well. It did not compromise the quality of the sound or the isolation these have. I highly recommend this mod for these headphones if you have them. Helps a ton. Props to 3X0!

First impression of sound.. The first song I listened to was 'Slam' by the group Pendulum. I thought I had a whole system that are usually in trunks in my headphones. I'm hoping that the highs get a tad bit better once they get broken in. I've only been listening to them for a few hours so far but I LOVE them. I'm very glad I purchased this pair for my first pair of full-size headphones.

I have one question: is it better to just play music to break in the sound for new headphones or to let pink noise break them in for you?

I will make another post in about a week or two when I have them broken in more to tell of any changes I've been hearing in the headphones.

Much thanks to everybody who helps me pick out my first pair of headphones on here. Advice was on point!

-Eric

May 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericonomix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping that the highs get a tad bit better once they get broken in.

Yes, they do. And the bass becomes nicer.

May 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericonomix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one question: is it better to just play music to break in the sound for new headphones or to let pink noise break them in for you?

Congratulations! They are nice headphones. I recommend to get a screen protector, cut 2 circles and put them on the earcups of the ES7. It will protect your earcups from scratches, so they'll look nice for a long time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, you could try the ES7 mod, which was posted by Squirsier. You don't have to do it now, maybe later, when you're used to the ES7 sound signature.

I thought it is called burn in. Break in = for example: the earpads, which soften, because of skin oils. Or the headband getting less tight, because of wearing them. And to answer your question: I've used pink noise to burn in my ES7. But I think it didn't make a huge difference. Can't really remember. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Full-size? Do they go around your ear? I wear them on the ear, supra-aural. I guess you've got smaller ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 8
You will definitely hear improvement on the sound after a week, either by breaking in with regular music or with pink sound. I would suggest to let them constantly play pink sound when you dont use them and do some small breaks for listening to your music. Find a reference song, and try to spot differences in sound quality. Its not only the headphones that breaks in, its also how your brain gets fmiliar to the specific perceiving of the music.

May 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Congrats! I also ordered some of these just yesterday from JR.com, I cant wait till I get
em!

Is the mod difficult at all?
I don't wanna break the headphones..
frown.gif

May 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by armoOndo408 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the mod difficult at all?
I don't wanna break the headphones..
frown.gif

the headphones feel quite durable, more so than what i thought they were going to be. i did the mod basically right when i got them because i noticed how funky without it they looked on my head.

you don't want to put so much pressure to where you feel like you're going to snap it off. i squeezed my thumbs on the outside and put my pointer finger on the inside very hard so that i could feel when it moved a little. just do it a bit at a time and you should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

the post i linked explains it all alot better than i could tho

May 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Congrats on your first full sized headphone Ericonomix! And may I say what a good choice you made
smily_headphones1.gif

@armoOndo408 - don't get too worried about breaking them. They're pretty hardy headphones and can stand a lot of pressure. Plus I have heard no reported incidents of people breaking them while doing the headband mod. However we will see what happens when you do it XD

May 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 8
This is a good choice, ES7 is godd on both of its appearence and sound.
I recommend to run-in the headphone by the music you normally listen.
The store I often visit, they run -in the phones by radio, classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back