My PA2V2 came in today...
Feb 8, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mrdelayer

100+ Head-Fier
And thus marks my entrance into the amplification world.

I originally purchased the amplifier second-hand on the Head-Fi for-sale forums about a month ago. It came, but only worked in the right channel. So after some exchanging some emails with Gary (great guy, by the way), I sent the amp to him. Fast forward a couple of weeks and it's here.

And I thought the HD580s sounded good without an amp.
580smile.gif
Was I ever wrong, haha. With the PA2V2, instruments seem more distinguished and less muddy. Bass is tighter, clearer, but not overpowering. Music overall sounds more detailed, and the soundstage (or what little can be simulated with headphones) is more expanded.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 16
You'll soon find it lacking and want to upgrade.

The PA2v2 is the gateway drug for headphone amps.

Your best option is to enjoy and flee head-fi.org if you value your wallet.

Seriously. Look at what happened to me...

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Luckily, being but a high school student with no major form of income, I don't have to worry about the upgradeitis bug too much.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 16
You need to buy a line out dock for the iPod...I don't see that listed (I'm guessing that you can do that with your iPod) and step it up a notch.

The PA2v2 was my first portable amp too and I've spent way too much since then.

I'm sure the PA2v2 sounds very good compared to what you were using and until you hear a better amp, it won't be lacking.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to buy a line out dock for the iPod...I don't see that listed (I'm guessing that you can do that with your iPod) and step it up a notch.

The PA2v2 was my first portable amp too and I've spent way too much since then.

I'm sure the PA2v2 sounds very good compared to what you were using and until you hear a better amp, it won't be lacking.

I've already got a cheapo line-out dock connector (some $10 ZipLinq number from Amazon).

I won't be able to make it to the international meet, so I don't have to worry about hearing any amps that are better than the PA2V2 for a while, haha. Although there are some headphones I'd like to try.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 16
the PA2V2 was the amp that practically made me get into amplification.

borrowed it from a colleague who was testing it out and plugged my Philips HP250 into it. talk about synergy!

a month later came the DT990 '05 and the Battery Cute II amp
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All too true...
All too true...

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your best option is to enjoy and flee head-fi.org if you value your wallet.

Seriously. Look at what happened to me...

I'm starting to think this is so true it's scary. My pa2v2 is only 3 days old and I'm already looking at more headphones and more amps.

The one thing that I'm disappointed with is that the pa2v2 with my shure e2c is too loud with the line-out. I didn't ask for the low gain mod so I'm stuck using headphone out or maybe getting a cheap volume knob at Radio Shack (or getting more headphones). Knowing what I do now about my setup, I might look at an amp that had a gain switch built in if I was going to do it again. Then again, I've got my cheapo Grado SR60 hooked up to it now and it's pretty dang nice.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to think this is so true it's scary. My pa2v2 is only 3 days old and I'm already looking at more headphones and more amps.

The one thing that I'm disappointed with is that the pa2v2 with my shure e2c is too loud with the line-out. I didn't ask for the low gain mod so I'm stuck using headphone out or maybe getting a cheap volume knob at Radio Shack (or getting more headphones). Knowing what I do now about my setup, I might look at an amp that had a gain switch built in if I was going to do it again. Then again, I've got my cheapo Grado SR60 hooked up to it now and it's pretty dang nice.

I thought I saw it mentioned that Gary will change your PA2v2 to low gain for free. I've thought about doing this with mine but probably won't since it just collects dust now...like you say, the amp is too loud with IEMs but it does power low impedance cans pretty good. Tough call.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I originally purchased the amplifier second-hand on the Head-Fi for-sale forums about a month ago. It came, but only worked in the right channel. So after some exchanging some emails with Gary (great guy, by the way), I sent the amp to him. Fast forward a couple of weeks and it's here.

So did Gary take care of it without charge even though you bought it second hand? I can't remember what kind of warranty mine came with, but regardless, it shows a lot of class on Gary's part. He truly is an asset to our obsession (err...hobby), particularly those of us that are new to the sport. Enjoy!

Barry

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 16
From Garys site:

I will stand behind this product and be happy to service any amp (at no charge) should anything ever go wrong, and this offer extends for the rest of my life. I’ll admit, a few amplifiers have come back for repair and they were fixed, then returned by the next day. Even if the amp breaks and it’s your fault, it doesn’t matter, I will still fix it

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did Gary take care of it without charge even though you bought it second hand? I can't remember what kind of warranty mine came with, but regardless, it shows a lot of class on Gary's part. He truly is an asset to our obsession (err...hobby), particularly those of us that are new to the sport. Enjoy!

Barry

He did, indeed. A model for customer service we could only wish other companies would follow.

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

From Garys site:

I will stand behind this product and be happy to service any amp (at no charge) should anything ever go wrong, and this offer extends for the rest of my life. I’ll admit, a few amplifiers have come back for repair and they were fixed, then returned by the next day. Even if the amp breaks and it’s your fault, it doesn’t matter, I will still fix it

that's why he's so awesome =D which reminds me, i must send him a thank you email and complimentary pics of my new setup =)

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I thought I saw it mentioned that Gary will change your PA2v2 to low gain for free. I've thought about doing this with mine but probably won't since it just collects dust now...like you say, the amp is too loud with IEMs but it does power low impedance cans pretty good. Tough call.

Let me clear one thing up ... Gary did offer to make the mod for me at no charge. I don't want anyone to think his customer service isn't as good as advertised. He's even put up with some really (and I mean really) stupid questions on my part and managed to be super nice about it the entire time. I certainly feel good about buying a product from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back