*My Own* Opinions of Grado SR-125s vs Senn HD580 using X-Cans V2
Jul 21, 2001 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I've spent way TOO much money on headphone gear this month (lol)... but, here is one final review of my latest assets...

I'm only using the X-Cans V2 for this... so, as ever, other peoples views might be massively biased, but... here goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Grado SR125 and X-Cans V2... (vs Senn HD580 and X-Cans V2)

First off, I must agree with peoples criticisms of Grado comfort... after a couple of hours, your ears really do feel like they've been hacked at by an angle grinder!!
tongue.gif

Sound wise though, Completely different story... Even though the SR125s are only 32ohm, there is NO clipping through my X-Cans (unlike with the Sony MDR-CD1700s... Nasty!)...

When I put them on my head for the first time, after being well acquainted with the Sennheiser HD580, the sound seemed... "Yellow"... that might not make any sense, but... the midrange seemed wrong to me, colored... although, allowing my ears to get used to them has DEFINETLY helped... these, even though they are quite low down the Grado range, and even with the fact that I've had 'phones that cost 3 times more... these are my current favorite 'phones

The bass, given the fact that tube amps are generally regarded to be rolled off, is superb... nice and rounded in one breath, and strong and impactful the next... I don't think its overblown, although, its certainly the strongest bass that i've experienced with 'phones... A drum beat sounds like a drum beat... and... (not surprisingly) a bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar
smily_headphones1.gif

Compare that with the Senns... I guess the impedance is a bad thing here for a start, they are a LOT quieter, the bass has no real impact... exact, definetly, but... you can't "feel emotional" about the bass... its just there... nothing to give you the WOW factor

The midrange... At last, I've found a combination that gives vocals the kind of definition that i like, they sound full bodied, although not to the point of being syrupy... the combination although not supposed to work, does so brilliantly in my opinion... instruments also sound very lifelike in my opinion, although, they can be a bit sharp at times... which I daresay after a couple of hours would jangle your nerves (not to mention any fillings you have!! lol)

The Senns... same again, everything is there, but in a laidback fashion... demanding that you LISTEN, rather than the sound being laid before you

Treble... This is the one area that I'm not quite sure about... The Grados (within this combination... I know that through SS equipment, that they sound bright) seem almost a little dark... this isn't a bad thing neccesarily, but - after listening to the openness of the Senns, you do think "Wheres my treble"... it isn't closed off to extreme... but, definetly enough to notice (unless the Senns are TOO open?!?)

Overall... the Grados are a LOT more forward sounding than the Senns, and are amazingly well suited to pretty much everything, except for classical, where they seem to get congested

The Sennheisers on the other hand... in DIRECT comparison... are way too laid back, making most things sound almost distant, although... Classical is still there forte... I've not heard better 'phones for that genre yet
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm NOT bad-mouthing the Senns, they are still incredible 'phones... but... in a DIRECT A/B comparison between the two... you do hear the strengths, and weaknesses of both... and, with me liking an upfront presentation to my sound... well... the Grados win it for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Next step... SR-325 / RS-1...

Jul 21, 2001 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 9
Another Team Grado member arrives!
You've summed up my impressions of Grado vs. Sennheiser sound pretty well. The only thing I don't understand in your comparison is the "dark" quality you attribute to the Grado treble. I don't have the combo you are listening to (125s & X-Cans), but I have a variety of Grado headphones and amps, and the last thing I would call them is "dark." Through the MG Head, they can sometimes sound a bit too bright for me. Maybe it's the X-Cans? Other than that, I agree with your assessment. Thanks, Duncan, for the review.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Sorry Raymondlin...

I traded my CD1700s for them... the cheapest I know them to be in the UK is £150
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 9
http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk

Try here Ray, they sell the 125's for £125. I think this is the cheapest place I have seen Grados for online available to the UK.... and god knows i've been searching for hours upon hours
biggrin.gif

PS - Go to product links and then click on Grado (obviously :p) They provide free carriage/delivery but you have to mention the website when you call to place an order. When I have enough money I am thinking or purchasing a pair of Grados too
smily_headphones1.gif

PPS - Great review Duncan, glad you like the Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I would have to disagree with the comments about bass and the 580s. I'm currently using the X-CANv2 and Senn 600s, and on a song with *real* bass (like an upright bass), I'm often amazed at how much impact the 600s have. Granted, the only Grados I have are SR60s, and I realized that pretty much every other Grado has better bass, but the SR60s don't even come close to the 600s in terms of bass. My Sony V6/7506 have great bass, but the bass on the 600s just seems more "real" -- it sounds much more like an actual upright bass.

Jul 22, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 9
They sure are... especially when matched with my D777 Discman
smily_headphones1.gif

Trouble is... I'm already getting the first symptons of Ugrado fever... sweaty palms... hot and cold... ears pining for even more musical enhancement... I don't know how long I can stay on just the SR-125s..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back