my options portable audio wise
Jan 6, 2004 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
i should hopefully have a nice little sum of money availible to me soon from whats left of my student loan after paying off my debts.

dont get me wrong, i like a my iriver player but i want to get a HDD player again, possibly becuase of my insatiable gadget love, lol.

so here are my (rather limited) options:

i'll be using it with my eggos and a CHA47 amp sometime

iriver ihp20, £344, amazon has it cheaper, but it doesn;t seem to really be availible. (1-2 weeks availibilty means they just keep pushing bck the shipping date from what i've heard)

rio karma doesn't seem to be availilbe over here.

not interested in a zen, because of the size

i was thinking of the creative muvo2 4gb, but the cheapest is £230, and i can get a HDD player for a little bit more, so i thought, well why not?

so, after looking at all the availible options, i am actually consdiering buying another ipod (i know, i know, all flames for me being fickle by PM only please
wink.gif
)

i'm thinking of a 15gb ipod and the belkin battery pack, to get over that annoying battery life problem! (or me being too forgetful to charge the ipod!)

i can get that whole lot for £275 all-in. which is pretty good (i'm a student, hooray for apple's student discount, that's really good)

so my questions to you guys are....

do any of you use the belkin battery pack?

how much bigger does it make the ipod (i realise i cant use the amp and the battery pack together, the amp is more for "luggable" rather than truly portable purposes)) photos would be nice if anyone has one

how much battery life would it add if i'm mostly using LAME --APS?

thanks in advance!

[edit] also if any uk ipodders could tell me (by PM just so no-one gets in trouble) if there is a way to "defeat" the volume cap on the UK windows ipods

Jan 7, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 8
The rio karma should be available soon. #rd week of january is what im thinking based Riovolution.com's forums.
It's an awseome player. Check out these forums about it.
riovolution forums

Jan 7, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 8
well, i'm not buying until march at the earliest, so that could possible mean the rio is an option.

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 8
i'm also thinking of the creative muvo4gb.

the iriver also seems to be unavailible anywhere!

either that or it's £344!!!

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 8
I am sure i read on that misticriver site, that some of them had got the iriver from amazon.co.uk and they are also listing the karma on a similar 1-2 week delivery.

The 4gb muvo is a great little player for me so far, I wanted something small enough to fit in a shirt pocket to replace my current flash player rather than to replace an mp3cd or hd player.

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 8
they are listing at as 1-2 weel delivery, but what they keep doing is pushing peoples delivery dates back, which means you'll be lucky to get one.

and i'm not the sort of person whos hapy with doing that. they should just be honest and say there's none in stock right now

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Fair enough, although if you aren't buying until march then you should probably wait and see whats available, there is supposedly an ihp-140 so that should push down the price of the ihp-120. The rio players are supposedly going to be more available as well, which should lead to a bit of competition in price as well.

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Well all i have to say is that the ihp120 is well worth its price.
tongue.gif

I use mine nonstop and enjoy the amazing 16hr battery life very much!
wink.gif
....much better that that measly iPod 8hrs...lol

anywho...thought id throw my opinions into the disscusion.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back