My optical options...
Jul 6, 2008 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zaen

Head-Fier
So...I've just upgraded my DAC to the Keces 131 (should be here in a coupla days) from the USB Keces 151 and am busy thinking about the best way to go about connecting the new gear.

Thee source is a MacBook Pro which has a 24/192 optical out in the form of a mini-optical jack. I had thought of going with the Trends or Hagerman USB/coaxial options but stopped short when I realized they were only 16/44 compatible. It might be helpful to add that the reason I've upgraded to the 131 is due to the fact that I've gotten in the 24/96 Vinyl rip scene.

I do have an M-Audio Transit laying around but thought that might not off much of an improvement plus might add noise through the USB....plus it needs drivers.

Anyway..thought I'd throw my situation to the group and get some feedback... Right now I'm happy to just go with the onboard mac optical out....as long as its bit perfect...but if there was a hi-res solution that was reasonably priced I'd consider.

So I've read a few of your are using the mac optical out just fine with the 131..but anyone come across anything that would lead me to believe that the stock digital out offerings on the lappy are crappy?

And by the way....in about a week a 3 month old nicely burned in Keces 151 will be in the marketplace....for around $200 shipped.
wink.gif

Cheers

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 4
If you have a good optical out, use it. Then decide. Digital is digital, and I have yet to hear differences between digital outs. In high end audio there are lengthy discussions about jitter, but most of the time this is only to justify equipment costing several grands.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you....just the advice I was needing to hear.....and since the post I've dug more and had things come up to support just that....Cheers

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Zaen, please share your impressions of the Keces 131. I also use a Mac and that DAC was on my shortlist. I decided to go with the Aeolus magiDAC, only because it was cheaper and I've had good luck with Michael Mardis stuff in the past. But the Keces would be a much more direct path. I still might pick up a Keces and do a comparison.

BTW, I've read comments from others who have heard significant differences depending on the cable used with the Mac optical output (glass vs. non-glass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back