My opinion of the so-called "DJ" headphones
Oct 13, 2001 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ's, and though the bass is boomy and rather sloppy I didn't think the sound is quite as crappy as many of us at Head-Fi had made them out to be.
eek.gif
(And that comes from a person who loves his AKG K240DF's and Grado SR-60's and Sony MDR-V6's and MDR-E888LP's and sometimes his Sennheiser 590's.
redface.gif
) I also tried the V700's little brother, the MDR-V500DJ - which I was less satisfied with; the bass doesn't go deep at all, and the highs are screechy and lack detail both at once.

I haven't heard any other brands of so-called "DJ" headphones, but if they sound similar to the Sony MDR-V700DJ's, then I can't recommend any of them for serious music listening. In fact, I can only recommend them as music-listening cans for people like the "Duh!-m-Bass'n'Treble" type of listener that I used to be before I bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6's 11 years ago. So leave ALL of those so-called "DJ" headphones to working DJs; otherwise, those "DJ" cans will sound mediocre at best - and often like CRAP.

If you agree or disagree with my opinion of those so-called "DJ" headphones, please share your opinion by responding to this thread. (And don't go saying that the Beyerdynamic DT250's , the Sennheiser HD25's or the Sony V6's/7506's are DJ cans; they are meant for recording or mastering, not spinning - and they don't claim to be "DJ" headphones; if you do, you are crapping on this thread.)

Eagle_Driver

Oct 13, 2001 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 12
You are right that the especially the sony new dj line is pretty much crap. any of the new dj vxxx series are pretty much crap. I learnt the lesson the hard way, well at least I sold them.

The V6's is pretty much an audio enthusiast's dj purpose headphone as they are pretty good and comfortable for that applications.

However even though these headphones are bassy, I like them for that kind of music and application (durable and flippable cups) is the: Technics Rp-Dj1200 series, and the Ixos Ministry of sound 1001. At least compared to lets say the Vxxx series they don't sound like a cheap pair of koss ur-20's. The technics are also "sweat proof" and has "swingable" arms which make it convient for DJ's.

I haven't used AKG for purposes of djing, so I hope I don't offend anyone by not having doing so. I don't know how they would do, but I like the 240 series for listening to fast rock and stuff...

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Only one I've heard is the Sony MDR-V900DJ, and I only heard it briefly from a soundblaster card. Still, the basic characteristics seemed pretty clear. Emphasis on the mid-bass, w/ a somewhat warm and muddy sound. Not terrible, but definitely overpriced.

Oct 14, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 12
The title of this post is TRUE! (Literally.) As mediocre to kinda crappy the ENTIRE Sony MDR-V###DJ line is, I have to say that the MDR-V600DJ is one of the very worst headphones that I had listened to recently - in fact, the V600DJ is the very worst model of that entire V###DJ line in terms of sound quality. I had bought two pairs in a little over a year; one I returned, the other I sold to some tin-ear engineer. I couldn't stand their muddy, lifeless sound! (At least on the two samples I listened to.) And they cost a craptacular $100 at most superstores - but I wouldn't pay even $5 for them!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Not wanting to 'crap on this thread', but I know several DJs who use the Senn HD25s and furthermore, they are often advertised in many DJ/music magazines alongside Technics/Vestex turntables et al
tongue.gif

I have listened to the HD25SPs and they seem to meet the requirments of a DJ headphone entirely, other than the cord seeming a bit flimsy (and double sided if I recall). Extremely loud, punchy sound with extremely visceral bass. The overall sound was superb, and quite exciting, but I imagine they would become very fatiguing for 'casual' listening over the long term.

The Sennheiser website actually makes this comment about the HD 25s "Ideal monitoring headphones for cameramen and DJs."
biggrin.gif

I have also heard the DJ700s and I found them to be pretty yuck all round. Very bassy, dark and muffled I thought - especially as I was A/B'ing them alongside the 7506s.

As r3cc0s alluded to, the newish IXOS DJ cans are supposed to be a very good (sound) quality headphone designed specifically for DJ use. The 1001 model (I think) even has an optional mono mode for when you are only using one earcup. I recall someone, somewhere (in summertime
smily_headphones1.gif
) saying that they were very good headphones for non-DJ listening also, so I might have to give them a try one day.

Hmmm...so do I agree or disagree with you? Well I agree that the Sony DJ series (at least the 700s) sound very average for the price depsite having rather sturdy and comfortable construction. If however, you can tolerate the Senn HD 25/25SPs, then they seem to be an excellent quality headphone although rather pricey.

SALUt!

sm
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 12
*note to myself: don't let my brother listen to my Sony MDR-V6's or MDR-7506's*

A few years ago, I let my brother listen to my Sony V6's (a/k/a the MDR-7506's)... And he said "Blech! They're WAY too bright! And they don't have enough bass!" Then I told him that he had the treble control of his receiver turned all the way up!
eek.gif
And he absolutely REFUSED to turn it down to "flat", because he needed it turned all the way up so that the music sounded right on his very old 4-way Pioneer HPM-series loudspeakers!

Oct 15, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Naw, what people on the trance addict site don't realize is that trance music sucks.
Just kidding. How's that for controversy?

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
I dunno. Habit?

It would be better repeated on those tranceaddict forums, though. Where people don't seem to GET IT.

I've just re-posted an "edited" version of my original post in this thread (under the title Here's my REAL opinion of the so-called "DJ" headphones!) on trancEaddict.com. You can read that thread here:

DJ Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back