my one yr anniversery as a member of Headfi. What I learned..
Jun 27, 2007 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
There are headphone amps.
Expensive doesn't always mean better.
Headphones aren't 2nd class to speakers.
Headphones sound different from one another.
Balanced headphones.
Headphones are more popular then I thought.
The high cost of grade A headphones.
Recabling & modding headphones.
The head Fi community is very generous & honest. (The majority)
Never thought I'd become a headphone freak.
I know what a DAC is.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 10
With the exception of the Balanced Headphone bit, that pretty much sums up my first year here as well. Maybe next year. Great group of people here to say the least.

The heck with "Curse", thanks a lot head-fi!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 10
My first month has led me to believe that headphones are more dangerous that gambling as far as addiction's go. I stopped playing MMORPG's to find a new hobbie (addiction) and this has proven to be worse...maybe I should take up quilting and watching HGTV

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Wow! You have certainly learned a lot during these 12 months.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped playing MMORPG's to find a new hobbie (addiction) and this has proven to be worse...maybe I should take up quilting and watching HGTV

Good for you! I've seen MMORPGs ruin a lot more lives personally than headphones ever could. With headphones, the worse you can lose are you money and hearing. I've seen MMOs take away entire lives and a few friendships.

Back on topic, I've learned something new today.

Tubes are awesome!

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
I've learned an awful lot about different composers, recordings, conductors, orchestras, music labels, etc.

Oh also some stuff about headphones I guess.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first month has led me to believe that headphones are more dangerous that gambling as far as addiction's go. I stopped playing MMORPG's to find a new hobbie (addiction) and this has proven to be worse...maybe I should take up quilting and watching HGTV

Ah...but quilting can be done while listening to headphones!

I've been on head-fi for a bit longer than a year and had a small headphone collection already growing (but only one amp!). Since joining, however, I've learned about system synergy and how much improvement a really good home source makes. I've learned that I have a sound preference, and my tastes haven't changed much, though I appreciate different qualities more. I know what my HD650s should sound like with a great amp as opposed to a decent amp. I now believe in burn in (very limited belief). I have heard the improvements that some cables make and am a skeptical believer. I used to think it was important to have two or three headphones for different uses. Now, I think everyone should have two or three headphones within those different use catagories (serious home, bedroom rig, portable)...it's a mood thing. I also believe in back-up headphones for discontinued models if you can get them, and mood amps and back-up amps as well...egad...I'm actually admitting this. Taking some of my headphones is in my hurricane evacuation plan. Buy used! Imods rule! Pay attention to who is posting (their experience and points of reference) when looking for advice. There will always be something new down the line. Be happy with what you have until you can afford something more! I've learned patience while still waiting for my Diablo and immediate gratification when buying CDs I learned about on the music forum...AND...most importantly, I've learned that Florida head-fiers are the kindest, most generous, unrepentant gear-sluts I've ever met (who also love live music and a good party anytime). I'm broke, but very happy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back