My one headphone to rule them all (LCD2, 007MKII, ED8, T1, JH-16)?
Jun 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't believe I'm now at the point where I'm ready to spend thousands of dollars on a headphone setup. I never thought this day would come, as I always felt this kind of money was only justified by speaker systems. After having heard the Stax 007MKII, I was convinced otherwise--that headphones CAN have that magic, and ARE worth the money,  IF you find the right pair that blows you away.

So I'm now ready to end my headphones journey. I don't really care what kind of headphone--it just has to be The One.

I have a shortlist that I'm trying to narrow down to just one, but since I live in some crappy city in China at the moment, I just don't have the opportunity to hear high-end models. The shortlist currently looks like this:

LCD2
007MKII
Edition 8
T1
JH16 + JH3A

On that list, the only one I have heard is the 007MKII, which I loved.

When I vacationed in Hong Kong and Taiwan recently, I totally grabbed the opportunity and took my Denon D7000 with me to compare with other high-end models. You can check out my various reviews to see how I feel about the headphones I own(ed) or have heard:
http://www.head-fi.org/user/lunatique  (Just turn off FORUMS, WIKIS, and PROFILES in the "Recent Activity" section and you'll see just my reviews).

I probably should wait a few more months until there are more LCD2 owners, but I could always revive this thread in the future and ask for more input. Also, many of you have heard the LCD2 at the recent Can Jam, as well as the other models on my shortlist, so maybe there are already enough people who have had experience with those models.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 182
I've got a feeling that it's going to have to be a synergy between both headphones and amp for you, and that is always difficult to audition. I've only heard the 007 and T1 from your list and I could happily live with either for, well, probably for ever!

I know that a large pay out deserves a lot of consideration, but too much can sometimes distract you from the true focus of actually enjoying the performance. So don't get too hung up and loose that focus. For example, one school of thought says if you have tried and loved the 007 then just buy them, stop worrying about comparisons, and start enjoying it right away !!!

Good luck,
J

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 182
If you are going to restrict yourself to 1 headphone why not consider headphones that are no longer in production?
you really should include the R10, 010, and HD800. Perhaps the HD650 too if you can "get into it" right.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 182
I have a similar view to yours about "The One", but now with owning 5 dynamic headphones and counting I am not convinced that one headphone is best with every music genre and every quality of source material.  That being said, if you are not too heavily invested in a dynamic setup now, I don't think you could go wrong with the Stax 007-MKII (or MKI) and one of the better amps that are available for them.  CanJam vendors featured two very good Stax setups - the 007 MKI with the Blue Hawaii and the 007 MKII with the Woo WES, both of which I listened to and loved.  The only change I would consider making would be going with a SS amp. for convenience.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 182
Ive seen an HE90 for sale right now... food for thought :wink: 

i also second Ari's recommendation to try OOP cans - dont forget the HP1000s.  I can definitely vouch for the R10s as well

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 182
I tend to agree that there are older models, no longer available, which need to be considered. In my case,I find the Stax Sigma/404 to be a worthy challenger to the Stax 007's.  Not only is it not currently made, it was never made, since it is a user modification of a basic Sigma. 

It lacks some of the definition and detail of the 007's but exceeds the 007 with the naturalness to its soundstage.   No other phone comes close to this, except the non-stat AKG K1000.

If my house was burning and I could only grab one phone, it would be the Sigma/404.  The 007 A would end up as a cinder.  Of course it is a lot easier to get a replacement 007 than  a Sigma/404.

Overall, I don't subscribe to the notion of one phone which slays the rest.  Tastes of listeners  are just too variable, sources matter as does type of music listened to. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 182
The HE60 is the one I'd grab from my burning house. Nothing yet has conquered it, though I've never heard it side by side with the HE90.

I am just not as much a OII fan, even if their 'farts' don't (literally) stink.

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 182
First of all, I've never seen a single poster ask so many questions about so many different headphones. Congratulations. If I were you I would consider the K1000's and the OII's at the top. The HE60's are also an interesting option as well (never heard them). I don't think the LCD 2's are in the same tier (purely speculation). I'm definitely interested to hear them though. I own OII's K1000's and Lambda pros. (using an almarro amp to power all three). For a brief comparison of the three. The Lambdas are the most detailed of the three (though the OII's in another set up could likely match the lambdas), the OII's are the most well rounded of the three -- best bass, most even presentation, and so on. The K1000's have the best soundstage of the three. And while it may not seem very importan the K1000's note decay is amazing. I think it is thanks to this characteristic that the K1000's are the most natural of the three. I wouldn't reccomend the Lambdas as your endall phone as they have some treble issues. With the OII's you would benefit greatly from a dedicated amp (of the ones I've heard and know about I would reccommend the stax 717, the KGBH, or the KGSS). The K1000's also benefit from a dedicated amp (of a different sort). You probably know all of this already.

At the end of the day the OII's (and all electrostats) have much better clarity over dynamic phones. There's a term "veil" that was used extensively to describe a particular issue with the HD650s when they were hot stuff. After hearing electrostats it's apparent that all dynamic phones suffer from this issue (the K1000's to a lesser extent than others I've heard). On the flip side there are some presentation issues with all electrostats (in summary a lack of weight, or three dimensionality). When it comes to presentation the K1000's are king. And they are nearly on par with O2's in terms of detail (though with the K1000's theres a sense of effort whereas with the O2's its lightening fluidity [if you can believe it]). Capacitors vs traducers.

I would rule the ED8's out. I've owned the ED9's and while theyre not the same I don't imagine Ultrasone has gotten their act together. Every ultrasone i've heard have had serious distortion issues. Not to mention the vast majority (all) of their product line is junk. Furthermore they seem to target midlife crisis portion of the market which is unfortunate. The ED9's were fun headphones to listen to (no more fun than a properly amped k1000) but that was it. In terms of greatness, they had none. I've never heard the T1. I was hoping it would set a new standard for dynamic phones though it didn't. I've listened to the HD800s (and thought the K1000's are a good bit better). It seems people are sort of split between the HD800's and the T1's. I don't imagine the T1's are better. Furthermore, I do imagine that the HD800s probably are a better headphone (more neutral, more detail, better soundstage=better in my book). For those who can't discern certain nuances and prefer the T1's presentation, then the T1 is better.

The new JH 3A setup is very intriguing. No oppinions as I haven't head a JH13pro and know very little about the realm of IEMS (owned a pair of yuin PK1s and a pair of B&O iems, but both broke. Definitely would like to check it out at some point.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 182
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have heard some of your suggestions (please look at my reviews in my profile), and they typically don't cut it for me because they lack bass extension or presence. My ideal pair must sound like a full-range speaker system with a subwoofer--not bass-heavy, but authoritative and substantial (which to me means accurate and neutral. Too many people seem to think that neutral = bass-shy, which is untrue for me). The HD800 for example does not have enough bass presence and does not sound like a full-range speaker system with a powerful and clean subwoofer.

Once again, please check out my reviews to see which ones I've already heard and what I thought of them.

As for the suggestion of HD650--it's in my signature.

Out of production models are not really an option for me because it's too risky if I need parts replaced.

Also, please only comment on models you have actually heard and tested. Saying that you don't think a model can compete without hearing it is not really helpful. For example, it's widely known that Edition 8 sounds nothing like the rest of the models from Ultrasone, and the LCD2 is currently considered by some to be the best headphones they've ever heard, and some prefer it over the Stax line of products or the current top dynamic headphones.

I agree that sometimes you should just buy and enjoy instead of constantly comparing, but I've been burned before by acting too rash without checking all of my options first. I really should just try to find ways to hear the models I'm considering, but I have no idea how I can accomplish that, short of waiting for the next big meet and hoping that all those models will be present and available for listening.

Anyway, thank you all for putting up with me. I wish I still lived in the States--I'd just buy and test and return and repeat that process until I find The One.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 182
For me its the O2 Mk1. When I'm listening to loudspeakers soundstage is one of my top priorities, but for headphones I'm a lot more interested in speed, resolution, and detail, and the O2s are just so good at all three. Third party amps are pretty much a requirement to make them worth it. Right now that means a hyper expensive BH or WES, but the KGSS-HV should finally give those of us who prefer transistors a truly reference grade amp option for the O2 (and presumably the Sennheisers as well).

The HD800 is definitely not an automatically better choice than the T1. It has its share of flaws, and the T1's more rich and lush character may appeal to people over the HD800, which to me always sounds a bit cold. The T1, perhaps especially when balanced and re-cabled should be considered at the very top of the dynamic offerings. It needs to make no excuses to the HD800.

The Hifiman HE-6 and LCD-2 are an interesting 3rd way. I haven't heard them but I would like to. I don't think the ED8 should be considered a top league phone. It's priced like one, but that's all.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 182
wish i could audition he-60s
wink_face.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 182

Quote:
Not to mention the vast majority (all) of their product line is junk. Furthermore they seem to target midlife crisis portion of the market which is unfortunate.

hehe, i own one ultrasone ~~ i m pretty sure last time i checked the mirror my hair still there lol

i really enjoy your comment, makes me laugh just now!! i m not at all offended
etysmile.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 182
I haven't heard the 900's so cant comment. I used to own the pro750s and admittedly they, like the Edition 9s were very fun headphones to listen to for certain music. Both however had distortion issues along with imbalances across the spectrum. It's often hard to hear when you have the phones on (it's a coloration that people like). If I pulled the ear cups away from my ear it was very easy to hear this distortion. It was more a curiosity thing that I purchased both in the first place. I remember the ED9's being excellent for electronic music. They had this really unusual syrupy sound signature and tremendous/tight bass. With synth music (where there's no reference as to how the instrument would sound in a natural context) they were good. Having heard other phones since (that don't have this problem) I'm quite content without them. I don't think they do anything better than the K1000's or O2's (bass included). Personally I don't think anything I've heard from the Ultrasone lineup even comes close to either (or many others). I recently got the O2's (though I've auditioned them a couple times in the bast) so I'm still quite new to them (have had the Lambda Pros for a bit).

Back to the topic, I didn't suggest the HD650s. I'm not really a fan at all and I think the K701's amped well are quite a bit better. Regarding the LCD2s I've only read the following (and cannot confirm): they arent as detailed as the O2s (which are pretty much the limit as they reveal literally everything). Having not heard them, I believe this. They seem to have a sound signature that is in the realm of what you're looking for. I imagine they're quite lush. Though I find the O2 Mki's and probably the Mkii's as well, quite lush... Any lusher would be an annoyance. I wouldn't suggest the K1000's as they're regarded as sterile (though I find them quite lush as well). I would rule the HE60's, and K1000's out (for you), which you've already done as they're discontinued, and would suggest either an O2 or an LCD2... though I think an HE90 Aristaeus setup would suit your tastes best.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 182
I can't believe the hubris of some of you people!  Passing opinions, comparative judgment, and even pronouncements upon equipment that you've admittedly never even heard!  Unbelievable!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back