My next upgrade? Moving up from RE2s.
May 5, 2009 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

e__

New Head-Fier
I got some RE2s a few months ago, and so far I'm definitely satisfied with them. I love the sound quality, especially, since I listen predominantly to metal, how it will make my music more percussive, being able to really hear the scratch of a pick on guitar strings.

But now after a few months use I want an upgrade; my dad has some broken pairs of Shure SE310s (a car door got closed on the tip of one of them and it snapped completely off
frown.gif
), and I like the sound quality of the one of those, but I haven't really gotten a good enough listen to them (or a listen with multiple buds) to really decide.

Something that is absolutely necessary with the new IEMs I get is that they have to be compatible with the iPhone, be it through an adapter that comes with the phones or just how the standard jack that fits in.

A quality I'd really like is more bass than the RE2s. Not that I want bass to be the main feature over the rest of the sound, but definitely more noticeable than the RE2s. I want my music to sound heavier, but not lose the trebly scratching that I currently have. In fact, if there are any buds that can boost the percussive qualities of the guitar more while doing this then I'd love some of them.

Just being picky, but I'd like the phones to come with some foam tips, double flanges, and/or triple flanges. I don't know of my dad's Shure's coming with anything except for the single flange I've heard, but I definitely prefer the doubles/triples to singles in comfort.

My budget is around $200-$250 (ie, SE310s on soundearphones.com)

May 5, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I recommend Sennheiser IE7. You are can take a look at the appreciation thread going around. It's a little below your price range and they are awesome IEMs. They fit the recessed jack as well, I had that problem before. The plug is unique, it narrows in at the tip and is build very sturdy. Nice kevlar coated wires too.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Iso of the IE7? Okay, but not as quiet as say, the Westone W3s or Ety models. To be honest, I liked the IE7 and IE8, but sold both. I felt that even with burn-in, the clarity just wasn't there for me. And no matter which tips I tried, even Mark's favorite biflanges, they seemed loose in my ears. Now, they never fell out, etc., but just didn't give me the feeling that I get from the Westones.

RE2 are detailed phones, so you might want to save another $75 and get the new Westones, the UM3X, which can be had for $325 on ebay from an authorized seller called Freq City. They retail for $379. Check the threads. Many detail lovers are raving about their mids and highs, but no sibilance (which some W3 owners have experienced, including me, depending on the tip).

Otherwise, the IE7 is a very, very nice IEM. I just felt clarity fell short based on my preferences. But many other very good HFers love the Senns.

May 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by e__ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the UM3Xs compatible with the iPhone?

Well, they have no inline mic, if that's what you are asking. I use my W3s extensively with the Touch 2G, and no problems. In fact, with the acoustic EQ, they really outperform the Senns, 7s or 8s, in my view.

I just picked up a Griffin SmartTalk and use that for changing tracks, etc. It also has a mic for the iPhone. Just read the UM3X threads. With that IEM, you will be stepping into a different realm, approaching high-end customs from early feedback. If you mean you want a built-in mic, etc., than the IE7s won't do that either. There are ways around the mic issue, as I noted.

May 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Oh, not an inline mic. I don't really care about that. I was more talking about if they'd fit in the stupid jack that Apple put on the original iPhone.

May 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Not sure about the original iPhone, my guess is yes, but it's a guess. It does work with iPhone 3G. You'd have to check with Westone. The Griffin thingie does, and I don't use the mic. I just like to have the ability to change tracks or pause without using the screen (when the Touch is in my coat pocket).

May 6, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by e__ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, not an inline mic. I don't really care about that. I was more talking about if they'd fit in the stupid jack that Apple put on the original iPhone.

The best way around the stupid first Generation iPhone earphone jack is the adapter. It fixes the problem.

Sure, you CAN take a knife or single edge razor blade to MOST any plug and make it fit, but that is hard to do.

The only quality headphone for the iPhone that has a mic are the Etymotic HF-2 (High-Fidelity, Hands-Free) IEMs.

They are nearly as good as the ER-4p IEMs, and have an inline mic. The mic has a squeeze switch in it to answer calls. They are really pretty darned nice.

They are so nice that I haven't used my 4ps in a while. They are close enough, and there is not a mic yet for the UE-10. <ggg>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back