My next step in the never ending upgrade cycle =]
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Exidrion

100+ Head-Fier
So...for years I had been rocking Schiit Bifrost -> Matrix M-stage  -> Denon D500's and Audtio Technica ATH AD2000's (my favourite headphones). Recently I purchased a Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC and I feel it's a bit...underutilized? So i'd like to upgrade the D5000's. I think I've narrowed it down to either LCD 2/3's or the Beyer t1. I've been reading for quite awhile and it seems like the LCD's are a closer match to the d5000, just with better acoustics. Two things:

Can the M-Stage significantly power the LCD 2/3's. I see some posts say yes, other say no. 

I've looking for a warm sounding headphone with good bass and vocals. I mainly listen to rock/metal and electronic/pop music Are there better options other there for me? I read about the HE-6 but I believe those would require a better amp because they're more like a "speaker phone" apparently.

Any and all opinions greatly appreciated. Btw, I don't really have a budget, but as always the best bang for my buck is optimal.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Looks like the M-stage has gone through some revisions? The latest 2012 model is capable of 400 mW at 60 ohms which is plenty for the LCD-2/3.

If you're looking for a warm headphone you'll want to avoid the HE-6, it's got lots of treble as well as requiring stupid amounts of power by headphone standards. The T1 too might be too bright for you too, especially if you're sensitive to treble around 9 kHz where it's got a big spike.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Looks like the M-stage has gone through some revisions? The latest 2012 model is capable of 400 mW at 60 ohms which is plenty for the LCD-2/3.

If you're looking for a warm headphone you'll want to avoid the HE-6, it's got lots of treble as well as requiring stupid amounts of power by headphone standards. The T1 too might be too bright for you too, especially if you're sensitive to treble around 9 kHz where it's got a big spike.

+1! :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 5

Turns out mine is the 2012 version, so that's swell. I really don't want anything too bright, so thanks for the words of caution on the t1/he-6. I'm sort of doubting that the LCD 3's are worth the price tag. Seems like most people find the difference between the latest lcd2 revision and the the 3 to be too minimal.

Really wish I could find a place to demo these nearby, however i have blindly purchased all my equipment based off of reviews and headfi and I'm pretty happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back