New Head-Fier
Time to look for new phones ... again.

I didn't succeed yet in finding a set that has:
  1. analytical mids
  2. tight bass, not spongy, not soft
  3. open, "forward" character, a little on the aggressive side but not potty
  4. fully closed if possible

Short version:

is there a set of cansphones that mostly has the sound of the Sennheiser 250 HD Linear, in particular general character and the tight bass, but with more analytical mids? And better mechanical quality.

I mostly listen to rock, hard rock and epic/symphonics metal, but I am very sensitive to voices. Good mids that amplifiy what's happening with voices and guitars is a must.

The best mids that I miss in the Sennheiser I get out of my AKG K 240 monitor (but other than that I like the Sennheiser better).

Longer version:

I've been using the Senheiser 250 HD Linear and the AKG K 240 for many years. I used for the Sennheiser for entertainment and the AKG for analytical tasks.

Why I wasn't quite happy:
  1. The Sennheiser's quality just stinks. It's falling apart and it doesn't sit tight enough. I would also prefer fully closed phone. This one is too loud outside for some of my uses and let too much outside noise in for other uses.

Sound-wise I like it a lot. The general "character" of the sound is what I want. It has the right openness and directness. The right bass for me, tight with good body. But the mids don't do it. I can't really hear what's going on in detail. This is why I switch to this AKG for mid analytics:
  2. The AKG K 240 Monitor is just too quiet, not just volume-wise, character-wise. It never gives anywhere close to a sufficient bass.

I like it otherwise. I think I bought mine in 1986 and they are like new, the build quality is outstanding.

This is what I tried since then, in reverse order:
  1. AKG K 271 II. This one doesn't work at all for me. The sound is too closed. It sounds like being locked in a small room. I kept it for 6 months so far and although you can argue it needs more break-in I don't think it't gonna happen. So I'll sell it.
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 770. Good but not quite. Much better than the K 271. But it sounds too soft overall, in particular in the bass. I like the quality and the strong hold. Very good headphones and good insulation.

But clearly, the more aggressive and forward character of the Sennheiser HD 250 linear is better for my taste.

Given how this went I am tempted to go one of these routes:
  1. Grado, because people say that they are the best rock headphones and that might indicate they have the character I like.
  2. A new Sennheiser. Since I overall like the HD 250 Linear best in general it seems this might be the most straightforward way to go.

Opinions?

Suggestions?

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 32
Bump?

I guess my inquiry is too specific by now
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll try a ATH-A700 next (based on recommendations here), or a Sennheiser HD-25 1 (based on that I like the Sennheiser base sound but want closed phones). Alternatively, a multiband EQ to get the Beyer 770 under control.

Not sure about other strategies except "go through them all in the next 10 years" - unless somebody has some recommendations?

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 32
I have the HD 25-1-IIs and Grado SR60s. I listen to mainly rock.

I feel the HD 25s are more detailed, have more bass impact, more noticeable highs and sound more balanced than the SR60s. I also notice more separation. The mids are enjoyable, they do make a presence. They aren't Grado mids, but it's still a fun sounding closed can for when you need isolation.

The SR60s are raw and in your face. They have an aggressive sound that suits rock well and gets me head-banging. They sort of put you on the stage with the band, which for me is pretty fun sounding. The mids are boosted, so if guitars are your thing, you might enjoy the Grado sound signature. They're not as refined as the HD 25s, but they are very fun sounding and can be very involving for me when listening to rock.

My SR60s are for home usage listening to rock.
My HD 25s I use for most other types of music and on the go listening where isolation is needed.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 32
Grado doesn't make a closed headphone.

I'm not sure I could recommend the A700 from my experience. I'm not sure about forward, since I haven't heard anything that is quintessentially forward. They don't feel particularly forward, for what it's worth.

The bass is right in quantity, and it's tighter than something low-end, but without having something to compare to, I can't say it really is "tight". I have trouble picking the bass guitar out from the bass drum most of the time (maybe because it's drowned out so much?). I think that's a source problem though.

Can't comment on mids. No comparison.

And they won't stay on your head. Don't head bang, don't jump around, don't trip out.

(I think I need a pair of MS1s...)

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 32
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it.

Somebody offline also recommended the Sure SRH840 after listening to my ramblings. Any opinion on this?

I made another round through mine and the AKGs are so out. Before attacking the Beyer 770 with a multi-band EQ I'll try new headphones.

Is the HD-25-1 higher build quality than the HD 250?

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 32
I would avoid the A700 from experience they have issues with midrange. ES7 sound nice but are portable and some people sya they uncomfortable. You could go for one of the ATH woody phones though. I own the ES7 and have heard the ESW9 and the 9's are definitely nicer sounding (not enough that I can afford them though...). IF your wanting closed only the Shure 840 do seem to get alot of good rep right now but that could be FOTM syndrome. From what you describe though I think you might find a good phone with Audio Technica (aside from the A700) I LOVE my AD700 and ES7's and will probably upgrade someday to a higher end ATH phone because of their great mids and highs (I too love great vocals and guitars from rock and other genre's).

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 32
Out of curiosity, why the closed headphones? I vastly prefer open, unless I need isolation (noisy environment, other people complaining about leaking, &c). Anyhow, you tend to find better deals in open than closed phones.

I'd scarcely call Grados "analytical", but they've sure got the midrange. Despite the closed-headphone thing, I'd at least try an SR-60/80 (80's not much more expensive, and has more bass) or MS-1, just to see how you like them, since they're so different from what you've had. Or even pick up a used SR225 from the FS forum, since they're pretty easy to find cheap. But I'd scarcely drop a bundle on an RS-1 on what you've said.

EDIT: Also, word of warning...I've never heard the HD250, but from the Senns I have heard and have heard about, I'd be a little wary before assuming it sounds "Sennheiserish" (at least to people reading your thread title). I get the impression that the general opinion of Sennheisers around here is formed from the HD580/600/650 line, which is rather different from yours, I'd wager.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by uOpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the HD-25-1 higher build quality than the HD 250?

I haven't played with the HD250s close up, so I can't say which has the better build quality. The HD 25-1s are made from light-weight plastic. Actually to be honest, they don't seem built like a tank so to say. If you say, dropped them they'd be fine, since they are light-weight and they wouldn't crack or anything.

My friend has beaten up his HD 25-1s a bit, but they still sound great and aren't falling apart. Personally I baby mine, but that's just me
tongue.gif
. I keep them in a aluminum Gameboy box that they fit snuggly in, rather then just throwing them in my backpack when I'm not using them.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, why the closed headphones? I vastly prefer open, unless I need isolation (noisy environment, other people complaining about leaking, &c). Anyhow, you tend to find better deals in open than closed phones.

One use I have is in an office with officemates. They say don't care but I know that when I listen to silly music I am just more comfortable with closed phones. The Beyerdynamic 770 are really watertight, nothing goes out, nothing goes is. They sit strong. It's one of the reason why I consider trying to fix them with a multiband EQ.

The other use is some recording and I might possibly do live mixing again in the future. The closer the better here.

However, all this goes right out of the water if I can't get the sound I want. Screw everybody else
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Also, word of warning...I've never heard the HD250, but from the Senns I have heard and have heard about, I'd be a little wary before assuming it sounds "Sennheiserish" (at least to people reading your thread title). I get the impression that the general opinion of Sennheisers around here is formed from the HD580/600/650 line, which is rather different from yours, I'd wager.

I already figured that much. The metalheads here aren't exactly in favor of the HD-[56]xx Sennheisers, to put it mildly. It still looks like the HD 25-1 is a strong candidate.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 32
The GMP250 comes close to a lot of your demands.
They are IMO great rock cans.
Fast, forward, very good mids, and a great bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back