My New Twins!
Mar 6, 2005 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rudemood11

New Head-Fier
These are my first and second built. Thanks tangent for the excellent guide.
600smile.gif

ext2.jpg

The left one is JRC4556 Based Cmoy amp. The right one is A47 with dual 2134.
int.jpg

ext3.jpg

I love this candy tin better than the regular mint tin. It is a little shorter but wider and can fit 4 panel components nicely. It also feels better in the pocket because of the rounded edges.

I originally builted a regular cmoy. It sounded better than no amp but it was kind of harsh on the high with my Grado SR 80. I think it didn't provide enough current for my grado. So I took that opamp out and builted an A47. The A47 sounds much warmer than regular cmoy. The high is much less fatiguing and it moves the sound signature of my grado closer to sennheiser.

After finished my first amp with great success and a grado phones owner. I can't help but build a JRC 4556 based amp to see what's the fuss about this amp. This amp have a comparable amount of bass with the A47 but it is faster and punchier. But the high is still a little harsh compare to A47. It didn't change the grado's sound signature like the A47. It'll probably match better with a higher up grado. But I like the A47 with my SR80 better.

The best thing is when it's time to buy new phones in the future, I can widen my choices to all phones. Not just phones which only sound good unamped.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back