My new TTVJ Millett 307A (tube rolling question)
Mar 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 27
I noticed that Todd no longer shows the amp on his website, but it also no longer shows a lot of other amps he used to carry. Maybe if you offer him the $6K or so he charges for the amp, he and Pete will build one for you.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be getting a pair of Sylvania 307As from n_maher this weekend, I'll let you know how they sound once I get em on.

ph34r.gif

I'll add that I think you'd have more luck "tuning" the sound of the amplifier by rolling input tubes, not output tubes. One could just as easily make a loctal to octal adapter (or have one made) that would allow the use of any number of the 6SN7 variants that exist.

[edit]I'd also add that I don't think we've see the last of Todd and Pete and high-end headphone amps, but that's my own personal suspicion and not grounded in fact.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif

I'll add that I think you'd have more luck "tuning" the sound of the amplifier by rolling input tubes, not output tubes. One could just as easily make a loctal to octal adapter (or have one made) that would allow the use of any number of the 6SN7 variants that exist.

[edit]I'd also add that I don't think we've see the last of Todd and Pete and high-end headphone amps, but that's my own personal suspicion and not grounded in fact.

I will give that a try as well, thanks Nate.

I hope you're right, even with my really limited experience with headphone amps, I've had a great time with this one. I'd like to hear another one of their tube creations again someday.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 27
A true loss - the best dynamic headphone amp I have ever heard. Period.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 27
Hi all
I'm very intrest of this 3d, I have the #7
Beatiful amp, I use with K1000, 702, HD800, HF2
I have Ken Rad, Sylvania, Raitheon power tubes
In this days I receive many '40-'50 years 7N7 tubes
I don't like jan (1975...), good '60 tubes (copper grids), but '40-'50 tubes is very good.
I use this now

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5521/dscn0332t.jpg

The sound is very detalied, great headstage, great extension to high frequencies

I have many rectifier tubes

Will I need time

angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
sorry for my english

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all
I'm very intrest of this 3d, I have the #7
Beatiful amp, I use with K1000, 702, HD800, HF2
I have Ken Rad, Sylvania, Raitheon power tubes
In this days I receive many '40-'50 years 7N7 tubes
I don't like jan (1975...), good '60 tubes (copper grids), but '40-'50 tubes is very good.
I use this now

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5521/dscn0332t.jpg

The sound is very detalied, great headstage, great extension to high frequencies

I have many rectifier tubes

Will I need time

angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
sorry for my english

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I'm #9. I'm using Sylvania 307As from n_maher, and I've noticed a change in the sound that's different from the Ken-Rads. Now the disclaimer is that a channel input issue in the L/R channels was discovered, but I spent some time with the Ken-Rads and Sylvanias on a remaining channel that was fine. I believe 4N6 or another 307A owner had changed to Sylvanias and said that there was better clarity in the sound. For myself I found the same result as well as far more authority in the drive of the sound (of course this may be attributed to not having the channel imbalance issue.)

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 27
It's small club!
I don't have problem of balance with my tubes
In this power tubes the difference is little, Sylvania is lighly detalied compare to Ken Rads, Raitheon is similar to Sylvania. I see in photo National Union but the construction is similar to Sylvania/Raitheon.
For gain the first is Sylvania > Ken Rad > Raitheon
Very good 7N7 tubes is '40-'50 years , which 7N7 uses now?

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm using the 7N7 that came with the amp, however I'm going to give 6SN7s a try once an adapter is located and try those tubes. Nate says they should work with the adapter with little or no issue. Once I get the adapter + tubes I'll post my impressions.

Edit: actually nikongod answered on the first page (i need to take a break from reading posts...)

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #27 of 27
Thank you very useful, considering the purchase of 7N7 of the first '40 or '50 years, i like this tubes.
You have pm with photo of my old 7N7 tubes, I also need time to hear all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back