My new traveling headphone case has arrived
Jun 23, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
Showed up today just in time to try to get it packed full of headphones for the Dallas meet in a few weeks.

I will give it my first test next week traveling with the K1000s, K340s, RS-1 and Stax SR-404s checked in baggage. As long as they don't run over the case with the plane I think they will be okay.

Two levels of pick and pluck foam to shape to the headphones of choice. And of course it rolls which should make it easier to transport headphones around the city for mini-meets. Threw in a couple of headphones for scale.

case.jpg

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Very nice. Do they make anything in an extra large size?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 18
They actually make them much larger than this. I got this size as it will fit in the overhead if I chicken out about checking it.

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
They actually make them much larger than this. I got this size as it will fit in the overhead if I chicken out about checking it.

Yeah I can see why you would want that case with you. K1000s are kind of pricey IIRC.
biggrin.gif

I always wondered what the guys with the nice cans use to bring their stuff to meets and such? I would probabaly just put the headphones back in their original boxes.

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 18
that looks like a pelican case which are really nice. they are for serious travelers with expensive equipment. they are virtually crush proof, water proof and even have a pressure equalizer for plane travel. i was considering getting one but i realized i didn't need something so serious so i scaled down. they are amazing cases that come in a lot of different sizes and have pick and pluck foam so you can customize the foam to fit anything.

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 18
Yeah it is a Pelican. I have several of the small 1400 series that can hold one headphone each but I needed one to get several at a time to meets and on airplanes. I am just hoping it is airline baggage handler proof. I imagine it would take quite a collision to damage anything on the inside.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Well I have started the pick and pluck process. I am running out of room quickly. Looks like I may need a smaller carry on one for the other headphones.

case2.jpg

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 18
I would need a much larger case than that. Looks good though dude.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 18
I order a small pelican but it was not large enough and returned it. Which model (dimensions as well) do you recommend getting to fit two full size and a fold-up? (ATH-A900LTD, ATH-W5000 and the AKG K81DJ)

Thanks...

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 18
Ninja,

If I intended to carry all of my headphones I would need about three of these but for the ones I am taking I think I will be able to fit three plus my dedicated meet digital camera with plenty of room to spare. Remember there is a whole other level of foam that goes on top of this one to hold more headphones.

Slwiser,

I think you should look at the 1510 as the minimum. It is around 20 inches exterior dimensions tall. It is a bit smaller than this one but also has wheels and I think should be able to carry your three headphones. Anything smaller than that would be a bit troubling, especially with wooden headphpones. I think if you got the 1560 like mine you could carry everything plus your portable amp and maybe even the Lavry.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Slwiser,

I think you should look at the 1510 as the minimum. It is around 20 inches exterior dimensions tall. It is a bit smaller than this one but also has wheels and I think should be able to carry your three headphones. Anything smaller than that would be a bit troubling, especially with wooden headphpones. I think if you got the 1560 like mine you could carry everything plus your portable amp and maybe even the Lavry.

Thanks for the update. I will certainly check into this size. How thick is the 1560 that you have or does the 1560 imply all the assocated dimensions? Anyone place have a bette pricing?

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 18
Jun 24, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Ninja,

If I intended to carry all of my headphones I would need about three of these but for the ones I am taking I think I will be able to fit three plus my dedicated meet digital camera with plenty of room to spare. Remember there is a whole other level of foam that goes on top of this one to hold more headphones.

I missed the second level. Thanks.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 18
Unfortunately there is no separation between the first and second level so everything has to be stagger so there is alot of wasted space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back