My (new to me) CD3000's: Early impressions
Dec 28, 2005 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TUBEBO

Head-Fier
One of my Christmas presents this year, (my choice, but via my spouse), was a pair of Sony CD3000's purchased from Head-Fi member Saint Panda.

I have been listening for the last two years through a pair of Sennheiser HD600's via both a Perreaux SHX-1 and a ASL MG Head OTL MK3 headphone amps. The MG Head is equipped with my preferred choice of a RCA Command Series 5751 preamp tube and dual RCA 6BQ5 power tubes, all early 60's vintage. The CD3000's have been used with both also. My CDP is a NAD C540, and I also have listened to some cassettes from my vintage ADC (Braun) C3 cassette deck, (a wonderful sounding unit).

I find the CD3000's to have many of the traits already well established through the many fine reviews and comments here at Head-Fi.

1. Very highly detailed and unforgiving presention: A superbly clear window of whatever is sent to them. To my ears there is a somewhat elevated upper mid-range presentation that puts a bit of "bite" on the reproduction. This can improve the realistic attack of certain instruments and recordings, but at the same time can also put a unwanted "sharp" edge to others. I find that the warm midrange of the RCA tubes in the ASL MG Head tames the "bite" enough to even out the presentation , thus allowing the CD3000 to smooth out a bit. And the warm tube midrange helps the CD3000 sound less dry in its overall presentation.

2. Wide and deep soundstage: The space and depth that is almost always missing in even the best headphones is brought out of the closet with these guys! The great halls that many of the vintage classical recordings were recorded in are nicely re-created, along with a realistic soundstage. You can really get a since of where each musician is located in a small ensemble, or where each section of a large orchestra is located. It's very comparable to speakers in a room. Amazing for headphones!

3. Articulate and punchy bass: Very well defined bass, for both accoustic and electric. The attack and decay is very good, and deep bass is present here. The best overall bass of any headphone I have yet heard.

4. Overall dynamics are fast: These phones are quick and remind me of the better electrostatics of years past. Notes rise quickly, and decay into blackness just as they should. A very lively and involving sound.

5. Great comfort: Nice soft pads and low stress to the top of the head. They do fit a bit loose, so if you get rowdy, they may slip around.

I have read the many posts here, and I must say that I think they benefit from the tubes in my set-up. To my ears, they sound much smoother with the new MG Head v.s the Perreaux SHX-1. However, good vintage and well selected tubes are a must for the ASL MG Head to shine with the CD3000's The perreaux sounds a tad recessed in the mids and thus cannot add the body to the mids that the tubed MG Head can. And even though the Perreaux is known for having a warm and soft high end, it's not enough to tame the CD3000's where they need it. Again for me, tubes do it better!

I plan on keeping the Sennheiser 600's as each phone flatters certain recordings and types of music. Very different sonics from each phone, but having both allows much flexibility. I do know this: The CD3000's can bring out missing details in recordings that I thought I knew well, and each new listen is a real adventure! Highly recommended.
3000smile.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 2
I used to own a similar setup as you: NAD C521i, MG Head OTL, and HD580. It was a good system.

I think you summed up the qualities of CD3000s very well. I would have to say that I am most impressed with CD3000's ability to render the decaying of sound. It would be nice if the bass region has more texture but that can be improved with a better amp. Most important of all, having a good source will allow your CD3000s to extract more detail from your music. And comfort is always a plus. Enjoy your CD3000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back