My new tall speaker stands
Nov 3, 2006 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some rather largish speakers, over a foot wide and over 16 inches deep, each weighing around 50-60lbs. I needed them on high stands, just over 30 inches tall. I saw no commercial offerings that came close for under $400 as a starting price and probably with cost prohibitive shipping, and then I'd probably have to buy some more sand or steel shot to fill them. I can't do that on my relatively shoestring budget. I thought about building my own but past experiences told me that they would turn out looking like the miserable cobblings of an inspired 3rd grader.

So I ended up with these:
bosse%20bar%20stool.jpg

I bought some spikes and rubber stops from partsexpress and presto!
240-725m.jpg

260-777m.jpg

Just over 30 inches high of real wood and I expect decent results. I'll be sure to report if they fail miserably. Next up, even more room treatments.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Where did you get the stands? how much did this cost total?

I am pretty interested to see how this turns out.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 9
The "stands" are Bosse barstools from Ikea. They were $40 a piece. The spikes are $2.50 a set of 4, the rubber stops were $0.85 each, so it was about $100 altogether.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 9
I still need to find some time to assemble the stools and drill holes for the spikes. I'll post pics when they're ready.

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I still need to find some time to assemble the stools and drill holes for the spikes. I'll post pics when they're ready.

Be careful when drilling the holes for the spikes....don't split the wood.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Good advice. I'll consider drilling pilot holes if the going gets tough.

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Great idea.
biggrin.gif

Also, I'm sure it's not necessary, but maybe you could find something like a couple old dive weights or barbell plates at a garage sale or thrift shop and mount them to the under side of the top where they would be invisible, but still add some serious mass to help dampen the stands and isolate the speakers even more. I know when I filled mine with sand the the speakers definately gained a little more resolution. Just an idea.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 9
That's a good idea because the stool seats have a slit cut out where I could easily run some zip ties through to fasten a weight. I'll think about it, the weights are not easy or cheap to come by and neither are large zip ties, and my ~55lb speakers are heavy enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back