My new Sennheiser HD25... rather disappointed
May 6, 2012 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

juggler

New Head-Fier
I received my HD25s and thought maybe they're a counterfeit product. Please have a look at the photographs on my website and advise me

http://jugglingpirate.net/electronics/hd25/

What is it on this set of headphones is it that costs so much? its ridiculous 

Yeah they do sound good but there are many other headphones that sound good for a lot cheaper than this!

I payed £139 on Amazon. 

May 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Interesting situation, the rough plastic is normal, I thought the splotchy area looked funny but upon further inspection mine has a similar effect near the pivots. The pinch in the cord isn't unusual. A few suspect things would be the fact that yours don't have the little travel sack, velour pads and the 1/4" adapter, plus my set has the made in Ireland lettering beneath the Sennheiser lettering. I've never heard of fake HD25s being an issue but its definitely strange that the accessories aren't at least there.

May 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Looks normal to me. The HD25 are tools for a job. If you want headphones that look "nice" there are other options. There are few headphones that isolate better and are as robust/indestructible as the HD25.

He doesn't have the additional accessories because it's the "Basic Edition".

May 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 13
How many differ hp's did you have to compare with?

HD25 are not the most fancy up there, agree, but if you travel daily using public transport and trains, like I do, well, I dont think it would be easy to find an proper competitors, especially soundwise and blocking outside noise.
What they do need is an good and not cold sounding portable amp to go with, like my GoVibe Magnum, and you are done.

May 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Looks normal to me. The HD25 are tools for a job. If you want headphones that look "nice" there are other options. There are few headphones that isolate better and are as robust/indestructible as the HD25.

He doesn't have the additional accessories because it's the "Basic Edition".

That would make sense.
The HD25s are far from the prettiest thing, unless you're into that look, and even if their finish isn't perfect its highly unlikely their durability will disappoint. I'd comment on the rest of the plastic finish but mine aren't exactly a fresh product, I've been stuffing them in my bags for years, my dog has even had a day with them.

May 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 13
They are fine. As you said they sound good.

May 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 13
At first I was disappointed myself. However, giving them about a month of listening really made me appreciate them for what they are. They are not the best sounding headphones out there, but they are very good sounding and isolating for being so portable. Plus, they are very responsive to EQ:ing. Maybe more so than my other headphones.

Anyway, give them a couple of weeks and see if you don't come to appreciate them more.

Unless you want to return them, of course.

Edit: after looking at those pictures on your website, yes, that is in fact how they look. You've chosen a professional set of headphones though. It's not the Beats by Dre shiny plastic bling you're going to get, but a sturdy, "ugly" (IMO good looking, I love industrial design) set of headphones for another purpose: delivering good enough sound for professionals out in the field while being isolating.

May 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 13
They were originally designed for professional audio applications as stated on Sennheiser's site. The people it was intended for don't care about the plastic finish or kinks in the cable as long as it works. If audiophiles choose to use it for personal listening then they should know what they are getting before they buy it. Otherwise, you could always get the Amperior which is the blinged up HD25 for the masses.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 13
They look about the same as my pair. I ordered mine from Amazon too, from a reputable seller, so its unlikely that it could be counterfeit. You could always try comparing it to another pair.

Besides, I've beaten the heck out of my pair and they are still going strong (not quite a year old yet though), so you probably don't need to worry about their appearance. Mine have a rougher finished and that kinked cable too.

The only other difference I can think of is the text on the headband. Mine have the Sennheiser logo, and right below in smaller text "MADE IN IRELAND" and a CE symbol. Could just be my specific model though, maybe yours was just made in China or something. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 13
And i thought the HD-25's were a fun headphone to listen to? i found that they benefit from some amping. Adding a portable doesn't hurt. 

I'd be interested on knowing the models that you compared to.

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
So does that mean you take back what you said on the '25s being better than the 940s?

yeah, I changed my mind. I thought the bass of hd25 was fun, but after some times the fun collapsed.
The srh940 keep a clarity to truly enjoy different music. Unfortunately the built quality of srh940 is weak.

EDIT: I never said that the hd25 was better, at least at head-fi. Rather more fun which is different.
Maybe you are doing confusion with bcasey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back