My New Project : The 6N1P OTL Headphone Amplifier
Nov 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Arlekiin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So in the last few weeks I have been asking questions about what to build.
At first I thought I am going to go with Bijou but since its much easier for me to get hold of parts for this amp and considering I wont be needing boards I will be building this instead.

So I started by securing most of the parts. Ofcourse I will be needing something to solder with...so I got myself a soldering station - Weller WH40 to be excact
smily_headphones1.gif

The 6N1P OTL Headphone Amplifier

So if anyone knows how this amp compares to known amps like Little dot MK 4SE and Darkvoice 336SE etc then let me know. I am very interested how these home brewed amps compare to commercial stuff.

Nov 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 12
Yeah finally,

Got most of the parts, only transformer is missing and tubes will arrive soon
smily_headphones1.gif

v6im.png

biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 12
a question about Capacitors...

So my schematic states that I need 47uF 450V caps.

I cant find those I can either go stretchy and use 400V 47uF or I could use bigger ones something like 500V 100uF. Would it hurt?

Some people I know tell me that bigger capacity caps in the power section improve overall quality and when dealing with amplifiers improve bass? Obviously 500V 100uF capacitors are almost 2x the price or even more...

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Yah basically I was asking if putting in Capacitors with larger uF value can be a bad thing? Until teh Voltage is right. Probably I should mention that they are power coupling Capacitors...

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Its a time of celebration I finally built a dedicated workshop into my closet
smily_headphones1.gif

my%20room.jpg

My room
smily_headphones1.gif

before.jpg

Closet before upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif

t88nurk.jpg

Closet after upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif

t88nurk2.jpg

So now I have my own little corner which means I dont have to molest my graphics workstation anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

View to a closet from my room
smily_headphones1.gif

myrig.jpg

And as a bonus my current rig
smily_headphones1.gif
If it can be called a rig
smily_headphones1.gif

darthsmile.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlekiin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah basically I was asking if putting in Capacitors with larger uF value can be a bad thing? Until teh Voltage is right. Probably I should mention that they are power coupling Capacitors...

So power decoupling caps. Larger is not necessarely a good thing as it becomes dangerous if it is too big. Just leave them as they are. usual recommandations would be to replace the resistor with choke and use the best capactor you can find (I have no idea of the impact on the sound of the last)

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Thank you for your reply, Ill look into it further
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Those caps in the psu are filtering caps, not decoupling caps... Since your B+ is 350V-ish you' d be safer with 500V caps. Bigger in the psu never hurts, just don't go over the top
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Oh thank you thats a solid answer to a noob DIY'er

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Aight got myself a power transformer :p

3.png

2.jpg

I hope it does allright :p

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 12
It gets more obvious every day that building amps is completely different business from assembling them.
I mean I have several components which are not the same as on the schematic...they will do the job but need some modifications on the schematics level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back