My new pair of SR-225's should arrive tommarow ;)
Jan 19, 2007 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Redo

Headphoneus Supremus
I pulled the trigger from headphone.com, mainly because older classic rock is my main thing and I'd like some headphones geared towards it. Should be fun, I may end up selling my DT880's for these down the line
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 17
Ohh how nice these are for my old classic rock! The mid-range texture is just to die for. Definatly not as much detail as the DT880's, but it definatly sounds far closer to the ideal way I like music to sound.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohh how nice these are for my old classic rock! The mid-range texture is just to die for. Definatly not as much detail as the DT880's, but it definatly sounds far closer to the ideal way I like music to sound.

Maybe next upgrade could be to the 05' DT990s? Sell off the 880s towards them.
icon10.gif

The SR-225s are plenty detailed for me, though. I wouldn't think I would want more at the expense of any of the 225s positve characteristics. I would think the Microamp and DAC would be fairly good for detail. You might get a little more with a slightly brighter source and a neutral amp like a Gilmore Lite.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe next upgrade could be to the 05' DT990s? Sell off the 880s towards them.
icon10.gif

The SR-225s are plenty detailed for me, though. I wouldn't think I would want more at the expense of any of the 225s positve characteristics. I would think the Microamp and DAC would be fairly good for detail. You might get a little more with a slightly brighter source and a neutral amp like a Gilmore Lite.

I don't know about the 990's, I hear the mids are even more recessed sounding than the 880's. After only a day or so of Grado's, I think I may look into a RS-1 as my next dream phone
wink.gif

SR-225 does have plenty of detail! I believe my DT880's just give the illusion of more detail due to the furthur back mids, deeper bass, and chimy highs. I believe specifically the highs on the DT880's just sound more detailed, only because the mids are more recessed. Whereas the SR225's have creamy and apparant mids which can cover up the highs a bit.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations you lucky dog/bird, I've been waiting for sixty days now for SR325i's to come in.........
frown.gif

frown.gif
That's horrible! I ordered mine from Headroom (headphone.com) on Thursday morning and had them overnighted, recieved them Friday at noonish. Gotta love Headroom
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 17
Your getting one of the best headphones for the money with the 225.I love mine.They do rlectric guitar and drums better than any phone I have ever heard.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by championboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they easy to drive with an Ipod?

They will be driven just fine by an iPod, though an amp would be ideal. On the other hand, my DT880's just don't sound good without an amp.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 17
ah, i wouldn't list those dt880's yet. i purchased my 225's two months ago and was disappointed in the lack of soundstage and practically no detail. did i mention they're incredibly uncomfortable to wear. as comfortable as to listen to a deaf girl trying to sing. the bowls don't accentuate its strengths and when you switch to flats, they kill your ears. the yellow sennheiser flats have much much more padding but make you look like an idiot cause they're bright yellow and look fisher price-ish.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by block_of_blood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, i wouldn't list those dt880's yet. i purchased my 225's two months ago and was disappointed in the lack of soundstage and practically no detail. did i mention they're incredibly uncomfortable to wear. as comfortable as to listen to a deaf girl trying to sing. the bowls don't accentuate its strengths and when you switch to flats, they kill your ears. the yellow sennheiser flats have much much more padding but make you look like an idiot cause they're bright yellow and look fisher price-ish.

I'm not going to seriously consider selling my DT880's for awhile. I need to give my ears time to settle and choose for themselves.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

i purchased my 225's two months ago ... did i mention they're incredibly uncomfortable to wear. as comfortable as to listen to a deaf girl trying to sing. .

I am vexed at how you could equate or compare the physical comfort factor with an audible example?? (not seeing the coorelation there, only the somewhat offensive statement regarding the hearing impaired)..

To the OP, the 225 has plenty of details for the music genre you listen to Classic Rock..It has legendary status with reproduction of electric guitar, so don't let Steely Dan or Led Zeppelin get in your way, they will sound superb. VS the Beyer house sound in general, of course the auditory response in these two phones' is different, almost polar opp's some would bargain..

The two phones will compliment eachother enough for your fix of the 225 until you pick up a RS-1/2..

Do you do any listening besides Classic Rock?

Enjoy your new cans, the 225s I have owned before and enj
smily_headphones1.gif
yed their performance immensely

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

the yellow sennheiser flats have much much more padding but make you look like an idiot cause they're bright yellow and look fisher price-ish.

HEY! Be kind to Fischer-Price
biggrin.gif

I find my sr225 to be a strange beast:
-very colored sound . . . that in spite of inaccuracy is GREAT for guitars
-no sound-stage . . . but with such intimacy that it does not matter so much
-uncomfortable . . . but sound so good that I cannot resist listening anyway
-odd looking . . . in a retro sort of way that gives them charm (sort of how some dogs are so ugly they are cute?)

As you can see, my sr225 and I have a weird love/hate relationship
rs1smile.gif

enjoy your new cans
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 17
is the comfort really that bad? i was so tempted to get a pair of these but i kept putting it off because of people complaining about comfort issues. for some reference, i owned a pair of sr-60s and found them to be a bit uncomfortable at times with the comfy pads. sometimes they felt fine, other times not so much. are the sr-225s pretty much the same in terms of comfort?

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the sr-225s pretty much the same in terms of comfort?

I thought the 225 were a bit more comfortable because the bowl pads did not squish as much of my ear as the comfies did.
But I find just about all supra-aural headphones uncomfortable not just Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back