My new nearfield setup w/ pic
Jan 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 23
I have the 805s in my home theater setup. No they don't match up to the B&W Nautilus' but are comparable to the entry series B&W's.

I have had them for a few months and I love em. I really love the matching center channel it for the $90 I paid is one of the best I have heard under $1000 The midrange on the center is super detailed and the highs don't distort.

As far as the bookshelves they are better than any Bose or similarly priced bookshelf I have ever heard. They do present two major problems. The highs are bright but not very detailed alot of music is just reproduced the same as any cheap speaker would. Also these are very dependent on placement. Nearfield they are great but in a Home Theater they are either typical surround speakers or great surround speakers depending how you are positioned in relation to them.

I have a pair of Polk Audio LSi7's and the TAD's by no means can out perform the Polk's in any respect but I wouldnt expect them to be better than a $900 pair of speakers. With a better tweeter or even a crossover they could probably match up to some of the behemoths out there on the bookshelf speaker market.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 23
For $150 they do great for me!! lol I spent most of my budget on source this time. Looks like I chose wisely. The 805s sound about asa good as they can for me in nearfield and are adequate for now.

For now.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 23
Spooky is right about them getting a bit muddled during complex passages and being a little bright.

I believe this could be fixed a bit with better parts but then....

That being said, they image well and are not at all fatiguing for what I use them for.

I think getting another Emotiva and better power first THEN upgrading the speakers is the best path. Have to keep on a tight-ish budget.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spooky is right about them getting a bit muddled during complex passages and being a little bright.

I believe this could be fixed a bit with better parts but then....

That being said, they image well and are not at all fatiguing for what I use them for.

I think getting another Emotiva and better power first THEN upgrading the speakers is the best path. Have to keep on a tight-ish budget.

Perhaps a tube amp would work well with them.

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps a tube amp would work well with them.

Yeah well, I had the TAD 60 but then my Ori I sold was returned to me and I had to pay that back so the amp had to go.... so on and etc.

I am allright with the current setup. I will get some $$ together slowly. I have $350 atm.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #21 of 23
Why are you selling the 805s already? You will be looking at spending another $300 400 to get something minimally better.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 23
Looking at going 2.0 b/c the bass from the sub is a problem. The only spot I have for it is directly in the middle like a foot from the wall. It still does well for all of that but I can't seem to get things to mesh. I have a TERRIBLE room and my wife sits just above me on the first floor and bitches about the gunfire lol. Without the sub she is cool. I want to try Totem or I have a strong interest in some others on audiogon which I will not bring attention too lol.

Don't get me wrong they are good speakers. Fantastic for the $$. I just want to do the Ori justice in the mids is all.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 23
Keeping the 805s as they are terrific for the $$.

Just bought some new Totem Mites for $400. Should give me the leg up I want and maintain a sit anywhere and the sound stage follows.

3D imaging ftw!

The Emotiva is a TERRIFIC little amp btw. There is awesome synergy with the Ori. I will probably upgrade the Ori down the line as he now offers Pre-amp mods and a good headphone amp to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back