(My new music/headphone site) I need criticism!
Feb 25, 2004 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zombietycho

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of putting together a little website for reviewing and discussing music and the things/people that play it.

I've got a domain and everything, and I'm re-gaining my html knowledge so I wanted to share my layout to see how some of you like it.

Http://www.lifebystereo.com

Don't hold back, but don't just tell me it sucks, be sure to tell me WHY you don't like it, or how I can make it better.

THANKS!

P.s (This isn't a plea for more hits)

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 17
Um, I can only access the main page. Otherwise, it's page not found.

D'oh! layout.

My friend does a little layout design on the side so I'll just try to say something intelligent...

I like the headphone/audio theme, but the orange/black is a little freaky. Very eye-catching though. Easy to navigate when there's something up.
redface.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't know about everyone else, but of the two orange background-ed pages I've seen, I could look at neither for more than thirty seconds consecutively.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
I don't know about everyone else, but of the two orange background-ed pages I've seen, I could look at neither for more than thirty seconds consecutively.

I concur. The orange background was just a bit too intense for easy viewing. If it's orange only on the index page, then that's fine. However, if the content pages are going to be black text on orange backgrounds, or even black text on white backgrounds surrounded by orange borders/frames, then I would have a problem with that.

Actually, I had a problem going forth and back between the orange and the muted colours of Head-Fi. Lots of orange after-images floating around as I type this post.
blink.gif

D.

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
pastels.

definately agreed. combine well with grey too. don't use those aggresive colors as you background. perhaps in you logo, buttons, etc. use an orange font for headings. IMO though, grey text on white. it's just so easy on the eyes.

be sure to make it compatable with lot's of resolutions.

the image at the top looks like it's meant to span the screen, but that only works on one resolution. perhaps make it three seperate pictures, and align them left, center and right so they'll adjust to the screen. resize this screen and see how Head-Fi's layout adjusts alogn with it. work with percentages instead of absolute placement.

I recently built my own website (see the www button?). I'm pretty happy with it so far..need some different buttons though.Webmonkeys
is a big help, lots of info on codes. CSS rules!

Feb 26, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by zombietycho
Possibly I am too used to www.minidisct.com/forum , and now my eyes are desensitized to bright color schemes.
tongue.gif

Ow ow ow ow ow.

A lighter orange background wouldn't be too big a problem, it's just the full-on color I have a problem with. Just so long as there are some more muted colors along with it.

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 17
The top banner isn't supposed to span the whole screen.... I didn't think it'd be a good idea to make it only accesable for high-res users.

I think I'll either tone down the background color... or I'll change the button and background color all together.

Thanks again for the words of Wisdom.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 17
More contrast between the color of background, and color of graphics.
The orange background is a bit much.
I assume that the buttons will work at some later date.

Feb 27, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 17
The left side menu is a very nice feature. I hate it when websites make navigation difficult.

If the headphone is a unique logo then that is also a very nice feature. It helps people know which pages are from your site when they return from other links.

I like to repeat things that have already been said when it seems significant so… the background orange color hurts my eyes.

At the very bottom you might have a few small links: “who we are” “contact us”

280smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by zombietycho
The top banner isn't supposed to span the whole screen.... I didn't think it'd be a good idea to make it only accesable for high-res users.

what I meant was, the symmetrical image suggests it should at least center on the screen. now, when I view it in 1280x1024 it's on the left. and half of it is missing when I view it in 800x600.

you can align the one cone on the left and the other on the right, with the headphones aligned in the center. that way, it's symmetrical on every resolution and every window size.

(hope I sound clear here. maybe I'm too lay-out minded...)

like the menu though. I love menu's on the left that just stay the same wherever you are on the site. it's so easy to get lost on some sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back