My new Mini-DAC is GREAT, but now I have a question.
Aug 1, 2005 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

H5N1

Head-Fier
The Mini-DAC has only XLR and a 1/8 out at the back. My amp only has RAC inputs. For some reason I don't want to use the 1/8 jack to connect my amp. So the question is does it hurt the sound quality if I have some custom made IC with XLRf > RCA to hook them up?

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
The Mini-DAC has only XLR and a 1/8 out at the back. My amp only has RAC inputs. For some reason I don't want to use the 1/8 jack to connect my amp. So the question is does it hurt the sound quality if I have some custom made IC with XLRf > RCA to hook them up?

There's no problem using XLR-RCA cable. Just make sure to use great quality wire, connectors.

Also try to avoid the temptation to use those XLR-RCA adapters you see around. Some are made pretty well, but these will change/degrade the sound more than using XLR-RCA cable.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 11
One problem with using XLR-RCA cables instead of adaptors is that when you want to try out a different cable for your setup, you have to get another XLR-RCA cables instead of getting regular RCA-RCA cables, ending up with a set of XLR-RCA cables that you no longer need or can use, unless you have something else with balanced outputs. You can always find a use for an extra set of RCA-RCA cables, but not so with XLR-RCA. They will also be harder to sell, if you decide to do so, than regular RCA-RCA cables.

As for XLR-RCA adaptors, Cardas makes nice ones. They are bit on the pricey side, though.

EDIT - And congrats on your new Mini-DAC!

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
One problem with using XLR-RCA cables instead of adaptors is that when you want to try out a different cable for your setup, you have to get another XLR-RCA cables instead of getting regular RCA-RCA cables, ending up with a set of XLR-RCA cables that you no longer need or can use, unless you have something else with balanced outputs. You can always find a use for an extra set of RCA-RCA cables, but not so with XLR-RCA. They will also be harder to sell, if you decide to do so, than regular RCA-RCA cables.

As for XLR-RCA adaptors, Cardas makes nice ones. They are bit on the pricey side, though.

EDIT - And congrats on your new Mini-DAC!

Yeah, that's a good point. I have been seaching for those adaptors as well. No luck so far...

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 11
There was a thread some time ago where the user thought the XLR out (with RCA adapter) to be superior to the mini jack out. I have a Mini-DAC but have yet to A/B the two.

Another vote for the Cardas XLR-RCA adapter, if you want to try different cables. I have to think that eventually, a high-end cable terminated with XLR and RCA to be the cleanest way to go. I plan to do this (if I do not go the balanced amp route....)

Regardless, be sure to change your XLR output to Calibrated (internal jumper) before using it to drive your amp.

Ditto on the Mini-DAC congrats.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
(if I do not go the balanced amp route....)

Come to the Dark Side....
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Oh man, I about had a heart attack here! I misread the title and thought that headroom had added real outputs to the Micro-dac. I would even settle for RCA. Oh well.

You are on the right track. I personally do not believe that there is such a thing as a high quality mini-plug (aka 1/8" pox on the audio world).

Making the jump from XLR to RCA is no problem, and cables are easy to build. The only problem is that XLR use separate gender for input and output, so make sure that you get the right ends for either cables or adapters.

gerG

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are on the right track. I personally do not believe that there is such a thing as a high quality mini-plug (aka 1/8" pox on the audio world).

Is this true? Has anyone done an A/B on the Apogee mini-DAC between XLR-RCA and 1/8-RCA. Would not a a cable such as this sound pretty good.

Kimber Mini to RCA, 1 ft ($59.00)

0050160065_569.jpg

I am thinking about getting a Mini-DAC. Any responses would be most appreciated.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this true? Has anyone done an A/B on the Apogee mini-DAC between XLR-RCA and 1/8-RCA. Would not a a cable such as this sound pretty good.

Kimber Mini to RCA, 1 ft ($59.00)

0050160065_569.jpg

I am thinking about getting a Mini-DAC. Any responses would be most appreciated.

While I was looking at adapters for making some cables, I saw this. They have all the digital versions.http://www.fullcompass.com/product/337956.html

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Lavry DA10 has XLR and no RCA outputs as well. I went with the Cardas Cables with XLR on one end and RCA at the other. I have my units on a rather short shelf in my office, I was afraid the adapters+RCA connector would be sticking out too far in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back