My new META42
Aug 22, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 21
jmelcer: Thanks for the review and comments! Your notes about the Ety ER4P were especially appreciated... I was torn between getting a portable META42 or one that's AC powered. Will now be ordering an AC powered META42 for use with the ER4P+S adapter cable and keep using the CHA47 for more portable use without the adapter.... for now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again!
Bruce

Aug 22, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 21
I think this might all have to do with Jerome using the headphone out of a minidisk as he doesn't have a line out. An amp is meant to be used with a line level input. Second, minidisk headphone outs are generally hot, much more so than pcdp's. I'm using the SlimX line out with a portable META42, dual 9V an 4P's and it's pretty damn on. The reason I ordered the conversion cable is to restore the frequency response of the 4P's to the S. The SlimX line out is not hot, and since I've only been running the META42 around half volume, I figure I should be able to absorb the extra ohms...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 21
ER4P canal phones have a 32 Ohm impedance, too low for a META42 without stacked buffers. If you did not order stacked buffers then it follows that raising your phone impedance with the resistance cable would make them easier to drive.

Your best option is to stack the buffers and not use the cable, as this lowers the output impedance of the amp, instead of adding a series resistor, which hurts damping factor, the control of the amp over the drivers.

Aug 22, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
ER4P canal phones have a 32 Ohm impedance, too low for a META42 without stacked buffers. If you did not order stacked buffers then it follows that raising your phone impedance with the resistance cable would make them easier to drive and thus sound better. Your best option is to stack the buffers and not use the cable.

Uh oh... Got the stacked buffers, that's why I have no complaints. But the cable already shipped...
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 21
Makes perfect sense to me
biggrin.gif
I'm expecting to lose a chunk of volume for the 4S frequency response, but it's a fair trade off I think. The 4P's sound great with the META42, but if it can be improved... hey, someone once said "sorry about your wallet"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back