My new little toy "HP-100B"
Mar 13, 2005 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

palchiu

500+ Head-Fier
Got my new toy HP-100B, it is hybrid design and come with two 6922 tubes.

A new version from HP-100A, it's disable multi input and preamp functions from 100A.

Post some pics first,

Front
Front-2.jpg

Inside
002.jpg

Yes, how about it's sound likes?
I got the baby only two days, I think the baby needs more hours to burn for good sound.

How much it's cost? Same as HP-100A, the price is 1100(RMB) in China.

Amp's review will comes later.

PS. Sorry my bad English.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
How much it's cost? Same as HP-100A, the price is 1100(RMB) in China.

Amp's review will comes later.

PS. Sorry my bad English.
tongue.gif

Is the price in Chinese Yuan? If it is the amp is roughly $132 USD.

Mar 15, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Very nice, palchiu. That's exactly what my friend did with his HP-100A kit. He disconnect the input selector, got rid of the preamp function, and moved the power supply to an outer casing.

I have my HP-100A in the office driving a pair of Grado SR-60s using a Panasonic portable CD player. Sounds pretty good. Except those damn Grados don't feel too comfortable after an hour or so, even with the big aftermarket pads.....

I've got a pair of Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe in there right now. Haven't tried any other tubes yet. If I come across something that sounds better, I'll let you know.

Mar 15, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 11
How hard is it to change the tubes in that amp, it looks difficult
frown.gif
Also, can these be found pretty easily? The price seems pretty darn good, and I have a birthday coming up
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
How hard is it to change the tubes in that amp, it looks difficult
frown.gif

Not very hard at all. Turn off the amp. Wait until the tubes cool down. Pop open the top cover, wiggle the tube until it comes loose. Pull it off the socket. Plug in the new tubes, let them warm up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Also, can these be found pretty easily? The price seems pretty darn good, and I have a birthday coming up
biggrin.gif

Standard 6DJ8/6922/7308/ECC88/E88CC/E188CC/CCa type tubes. If you are looking for NOS tubes, you will spend $$$ as the supply is dwindling down. You will need a matched pair. There are a lot of posts discussing about these tubes. So I won't waste time talking about them. Do a search here and on Audio Asylum if you want to learn more about these tubes.

I've heard a high pitch sound coming out of my amp even when the volume knob is turned all the way down. Need to take it home to find out why it is doing that. Maybe the tubes are microphonic????

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks! gumdam91.

I got two matched Amperex 6DJ8 (Holland) today, too.
600smile.gif

Maybe try some Siemens tubes later.

To Thaddy:

The HP-100B is easy to change the tubes, after you loose "ten" screws.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Oh you guys misunderstood my post, I know how to change tubes, I was wondering how hard it was in this amp. It looks crowded in there, I wouldn't want to accidentally bang the tube against the side.

And as for availability, I meant how hard isit to get the amp itself, not the tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 11
nice... anyone know where I can find more info on the HP-100A kit?!? for $130 or so, I'd hit it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
nice... anyone know where I can find more info on the HP-100A kit?!? for $130 or so, I'd hit it
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, and the shipping will cost you $50 from China! At least that's how much we had to pay during the last group buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back