My new Karma shows up tomorrow!
Sep 9, 2004 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Super-Gonzo

100+ Head-Fier
Woohoo! I'm totally psyched to finally have a hdd based player.

I've been reading up on riovolution about everyone's issues with it, so I'll definately get some sort of insurance on the unit... but it does everything I need, and its cheap right now.

I've been running a process on my server for the last 5 days transcoding my FLACs to Ogg Vorbis for this little baby... just finished last night.

Anyone here who has one of the new vaja cases for the karma? What do you think of it? Worth getting?

Any other tips/pointers/tricks about the karma I should know about?

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Be sure to upgrade the firmware to 1.68. I would recommend getting screen protectors. They're cheap and very durable. The Karma's manual doesn't mention anything about the functions available when you are in the running order view. To get to these, push the stick in and then push the wheel in. From here, you'll be able to modify and save the current playlist. It took me like a month to figure that out.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by proximal
Be sure to upgrade the firmware to 1.68. I would recommend getting screen protectors. They're cheap and very durable. The Karma's manual doesn't mention anything about the functions available when you are in the running order view. To get to these, push the stick in and then push the wheel in. From here, you'll be able to modify and save the current playlist. It took me like a month to figure that out.
rolleyes.gif

Good tips! Thanks!

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 10
If cheapness was one of your considerations for buying the Karma that doesn't really put you in the Vaja purchasing category.
These are really nice but pretty darn expensive for a case. JMO.
See how you like the Karma first. Who knows? Maybe it will crap out and you'll end up with a Chroma in the next nine months. Then you'll have the hassle of selling your expensive case.
Sorry for the neg spin but just something to think about. People really seem to love the Karma when it's working. I'm sure you'll like it. Enjoy.
If you do have a little money to burn then definitely go for the Vaja.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
How much did you pay for the Karma? Rio Carbon is about $250 and is super sleek.

and super static-ey.
rolleyes.gif

It is a nice player. Just wish Rio hadn't over looked that problem. I returned it and got a Karma instead and I'm lov'n it so far.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
How much did you pay for the Karma? Rio Carbon is about $250 and is super sleek.

I considered the Carbon, but 5GB just isn't enough space for me. I got the Karma for 230 or so, shipped. I just can't see paying 20 bucks more for a quarter of the space, even if it is small and sleek (and the Karma ain't that bad looking itself.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
and super static-ey.

FYI, I read about that problem. Apparently, it was a ground issue with the jack and certain headphones that had a metal base on the connector. You can fix it by putting an insulator between the edge of the headphone jack, and the headphone plug's base.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 10
It's here!

Wow, I'm definately impressed with the size and usability of this thing. I'd take this over an iPod any day of the week. It feels like it was made to fit in your hand.

Now if work would just end so I can go home and load some music!

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by neversummer
These are really nice but pretty darn expensive for a case. JMO. See how you like the Karma first. Who knows? Maybe it will crap out and you'll end up with a Chroma in the next nine months.

Agreed, they are quite expensive, but I've had a vaja case before for a PDA, and it was the nicest case I've ever seen or used, bar none.

I definately will wait and make sure I like the Karma before buying the case. Besides, I'm not sure I need the extra bulk.

The plan is to make the Karma last for 2 yrs, before buying something else (if it lasts w/o any hdd problems, knock on wood.) I'd considered waiting for the Chroma, but the rumors I've heard say that it won't be out till early next year, and I just couldn't wait that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back