My new job is mean, need new headphones
Oct 23, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

specto

100+ Head-Fier
So, I recently found a new job, unfortunately it is a job which requires that I cannot bring any electronics into work. This does not mean headphones, but I cannot bring in a dac/amp or anything remotely similar to this as they would probably bring a bomb sniffing team and I would go to jail.....

Here is the deal. I don't want something where someone can sneak up on me so iems and closed headphones are out, but it still needs to be fairly quiet so I can listen to my music without bothering others(although probably doesn't matter since they listen to their music with horrible speakers).

My favorites out of the headphones that I have tried so far are the Grado sr325, and I really enjoy the sound(although I would like a little lower frequency response). I might try bringing these into work, but seeing as they leak all sound out as if they were full sized speakers, and they kinda look like a bomb themeselves (haha), I think I need a new pair. Also they sound WAY better with an amp, which I won't have.

So I need headphones that fit this description. If i wasn't in a cubicle i would save up for some good iems, but for now I have to deal with what I have.

Any suggestions?

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 12
How about Denons D1001? They actually are closed, but the isolation isn't that good compared to, let's say Sennheisers HD25-I. And they sound pretty good unamped.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Bring the grado's, crank them up. When they complain, tell them you need to keep it loud because you cant use an amp! That'll teach 'em!

But seriously, how about audio technica's?

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Yuin. I have the PK1's and love them. I haven't heard any of the other earbuds in their line, but many people have said good things about all of them.

Being buds they are small and unobtrusive. They don't encircle the ear or plug the ear canal so you can easily hear what's going on around you (unless you have the music cranked WAY up), your music won't be a problem for anyone else (again, unless you have the music cranked WAY up) and they have a very balanced and amazingly full sound for any headphone let alone one with such a small size.

I've heard many people here say the PK1 needs an amp. Maybe I'm just not as good at hearing sound as others, but I used them with my Ipod and they still sounded good. I normally use my AMP3 and they do sound better amped. But to me, unamped is not a deal breaker.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuin. I have the PK1's and love them. I haven't heard any of the other earbuds in their line, but many people have said good things about all of them.

Being buds they are small and unobtrusive. They don't encircle the ear or plug the ear canal so you can easily hear what's going on around you (unless you have the music cranked WAY up), your music won't be a problem for anyone else (again, unless you have the music cranked WAY up) and they have a very balanced and amazingly full sound for any headphone let alone one with such a small size.

I've heard many people here say the PK1 needs an amp. Maybe I'm just not as good at hearing sound as others, but I used them with my Ipod and they still sounded good. I normally use my AMP3 and they do sound better amped. But to me, unamped is not a deal breaker.

I was thinking about getting some Yuin buds, however I do enjoy some sound stage if possible, and I have heard that they sound better amped as well.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a ESW9 or ESW10 if budget allow, I used to use ESW10 at work until I got myself a JH13. It is simply the best portable headphone I ever owned.

Those are closed headphones? Not sure if the sneaking up on me factor would be helped by this.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 12
I would really like to get the yuin pk1's, and reading up on the forums many people say they sound fine without an amp. That being said, has anyone had any experiences with the pk1's unamped on a Dell Optiplex 760 :p. I think it may have enough amplification as I have to turn my px100's way down low or else they're too loud.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are closed headphones? Not sure if the sneaking up on me factor would be helped by this.

Yes they are closed but don't expect they will isolate. I can clearly heard by neighbor next cube over if I don't crank it up. It also helps as closed, at least it will not leak out much compare to open one.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 12
I have the PK3....they don't stay for sale in the forums for a good reason. They sound every bit as good as my PMX100 and are less obtrusive. Yo would not be disappointed.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 12
I have both the PK1's and the px100. The PK1's kick the px100's to the curb and then continue the beating from there
smily_headphones1.gif
. For me the px100's are too dark with little treble extension and detail. And while there is plenty of bass, it's a little muddy and lacks precision. I used to love my px100's and thought they were amazing; until I seriously got into headphones. Now I could never go back to them. The PK1's are just so much more open sounding with great and detailed treble and quick responsive, punchy bass. Even if they are not amped. Don't expect the same volume as the px100's though, as I think the px100's are 35 ohm and the PK1's are 150 ohm. Now ohm's aren't everything but that's quite a gap to make up.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I'd look into Denon's. (D1001, D2000, D5000, D7000)
I don't think any of them isolate worth a damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back