My new iBasso D3 and my expectations...
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mirh

Head-Fier
My D3 has arrived... I thought I could very easy hear the difference between this 2 configurations:

1.iPod + UM2 (headphone out)
2.iPod + D3 (LOD) + UM2

but frankly speaking the difference is very, VERY subtle... sometimes I doubt if it really exists.
The sound stage seems to be a bit larger, bass is a bit more controlled (and deeper), sound is a bit more detailed but all are very, very tiny differences.
I’ve read that the difference is not night and day but I expect something more....
Is it possible that I use wrong (bad recorded) tracks? I tried different kind of music (not compreseed) for example:

Pink Floyd “The Wall”
Diana Krall “All for you”
Nick Cave “the boatman’s call”

I know these records quite well and during listening them with this 2 configurations I fill a little disappointed...
Could you recommend me some good records to check whether everything is ok with my ears :)
As for now the only easily noticeable difference was changing headphones: creative ep630 to Westone UM2... perhaps I should think of changing the source...

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 15
IME, there is always far more difference between phones than there is between amps and dacs.

The improvements you describe are what I hear with an amp as well. They are more subtle than the difs btwn phones.
To me the dif is worth it.

In other words, I don't think you would have a different experience with any other portable amp.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 15
Well the reason you may not hear a huge difference is that you are using highly efficient IEMs. These are the least likely to benefit much from an amp. To really appreciate your D3, you need to use phones that your iPod can't drive well by itself.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the reason you may not hear a huge difference is that you are using highly efficient IEMs. These are the least likely to benefit much from an amp. To really appreciate your D3, you need to use phones that your iPod can't drive well by itself.

I disagree a bit with you on that.
My C3s are highly efficient but I still hear the SQ differences and they are important to me.

However, my ety4s simply can't get loud w/o an amp so the dif is more obvious and more important.
Wait, maybe we do agree, that's boring, where is the controversy!!!!!
beyersmile.png

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 15
How are the recordings saved? Are you using lossless or a lossy format? The amp needs time to burn in/settle and I also find that it takes a bit for the sound to settle in, with whatever I am listening to. Sometimes I like an amp and sometimes I don't. Sometimes the sound is better, the same or worse but I do find the D3 to do a good job and to be better than my iriver output, which I consider pretty good for a player.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 15
The difference was more obvious with my ER4P plugged with the S converter. It also had more to power the ER4S than the iPod's output.

That's what I was looking for, but sadly had to return the D3 due to excessive RF around my area. However, I'll just be patient till i get my hands on the Mustang P-51.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I've just loud Chesky Records "Various - The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" and now the difference is more obvious :)
First of all I can hear very easy the defference between my headphones AKG K-280 Parabolic and Westone UM2 (usind D3).
The quality of a record and kind of music is very importent to judge the audio system (of course this is nothing new)...

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAC and wav.

Well that should be good then as long as your source is. I really like my iRivers and prefer them to my iPod.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that should be good then as long as your source is. I really like my iRivers and prefer them to my iPod.

I agree, as soon as I burn all my itunes bought music to lossless, I'll try a iRiver or Fuze.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Listening both iPod and iRiver where is bigger audible difference ? :

1)iRiver LOD + portable amp
2)iPod LOD + (the same) portable amp

or

1)the same PMP and 2 different amps

The question is what is easier to notice change of amp or change of source (iPod vs iRiver both in LOD and the same amp)

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, as soon as I burn all my itunes bought music to lossless, I'll try a iRiver or Fuze.

\
Burning lossy files to lossless wont improve the sound. Once lossy always lossy. You can't put bits back that are taken out.

are you doing that to remove DRM? That is the only "legal" , Apple approved way to remove DRM.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\
Burning lossy files to lossless wont improve the sound. Once lossy always lossy. You can't put bits back that are taken out.

are you doing that to remove DRM? That is the only "legal" , Apple approved way to remove DRM.

most of my iTune music is 128 and I'm replacing with discs

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 15
After 50 hours of burning I must admit that my iBasso is really good
smily_headphones1.gif

It is really pleasure to listen it providing you listen good records (I mean technically).
DAC section is also really good and it gives me much more pleasure during listening than my stationary CD (Kenwood DP-5060 LOD + iBasso D3 amp section). Sound is more natural and detailed with more tiny details (resolution).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back