My new "High-end" Source...well, High-end for 1917 :)
Apr 20, 2005 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
My grandfather is cleaning out his house and I was in-line to get this:

A circa 1917 victrola...pretty cool. It's been handed down from my Great Great Grandfather to his grandson and now to me. Here are some pics:

victrola1.jpg

victrola2.jpg

victrola3.jpg

How does it sound.....awful, beautifully, wonderfully, awful...my wife and I love it, it's like stepping back in time. Now all I want is a 1960s Wurlitzer jukebox.....and a Meridan
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 11
I'd check around online, you could probably find replacement needles & stuff to play on that. Would be a fun conversation piece anyway. Might be cool to have it fully restored.

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'd check around online, you could probably find replacement needles & stuff to play on that. Would be a fun conversation piece anyway. Might be cool to have it fully restored.

Yeah, there are a lot of sites about victrolas...lots of info available. It's in pretty good condition already. The wood finish needs some prucing up, but I want to avord doing too much to it. I'm going to look into touching it up a bit, getting the reusty parts fixed or replaced, but otherwise...it works just fine.

LOL, this thing wasn't meant to play rock...that's for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 11
It's good to see that your right arm will get some working out...it's a dead giveaway when a married guy's left arm is more muscular than his right (no, using the mouse with your right hand doesn't even things out)
tongue.gif

BTW-Robert Johnson and Ledbelly should sound awesome!

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
It's good to see that your right arm will get some working out...it's a dead giveaway when a married guy's left arm is more muscular than his right (no, using the mouse with your right hand doesn't even things out)
tongue.gif

BTW-Robert Johnson and Ledbelly should sound awesome!

LOL I thought you were implying something else...

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 11
It came with two boxes of 78s but I haven't had a chance to go throught them yet. Some of them are so old they only have grooves on one side. I doubt there is any significant music in the collection, but who knows...it's mostly folk tunes...etc. with a few classical things in there as well. At the very least, it's fun...takes you back.

My right arm is just fine BTW....I'm ambidexterous
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
LOL I thought you were implying something else...

I was...but I had to say something to stay on topic.

Ambidexterous...you lucky stiff
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

And you didn't go cross-eyed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back