My new headphones and my 360
Aug 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the cable included with your 360 have optical out?

Not all stock bundled Xbox 360 cables have an optical out. The composite-only cable that's bundled with all Core and Arcade editions and the very newest Elite edition has no optical out whatsoever - only analog stereo out. The stock component/composite cable bundled with the outgoing Pro/Premium and "old" Elite editions has an optical out. This means that with the OP's Xbox, one is required to buy one of Microsoft's optional, extra-cost A/V cables (or an equivalent third-party cable) in order to get an optical out.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #17 of 20
what is the aversion to just using the Headphone Out on the TV?

that's what I do and I get plenty of spatial (granted it's only stereo and not any sort of 5.1 surround) awareness when gaming.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 20
Thank you everyone for your input. I have decided to use my own HDMI to connect the XBox to the tv, and use microsoft's analog audio to amp/dac to my headphones. Of course, until I actually have enough for the zero, i'm prob just going for a cheap fiio E5.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 20
Xbox is pretty useless as a source. All audio is converted to Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 depending on the settingsin CTRL panel. Hence even with an optical output you dont get bitperfect audio, instead you get a modified and compressed dolby signal.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Well, it would only be for gaming, not movies or music. I have my laptop for that. As long as I can play games with my headphones on I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back