my new HD650 sounded awful... but not anymore! (updated title)
Jul 29, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that i will like the hd600 more because they have even less bass than hd650. I am not satisfied with the bass response so far.
the laid back sound signature don't bother me...also, they don't sound laid back at all...they just lack bass and treble.

There's your problem, you're so used to the D5000's V shaped FR where bass and treble is boosted. However, the HD650 shouldn't be that bad for deep bass, I suspect you mean the HD650 lacks midbass, but even then it's because the D5000's boosted heavily as I said.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you hate them now, you will hate them after 300 hours, sorry but they just don't change that much for you to go from hating to loving them.

x2. One thing is being on the fence, a whole other thing is to hate their signature. Didn't you mention somewhere that you thought the drivers were 580's? Did you buy them new or used?

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 111
I had a similar experience and it turned out that the 650s are quite finicky of the amp....I was using a heed canamp and the hd650 sounded just awful and I was about to return them but then a very nice head-fi member pointed out that it does not synergize well with the heed...well, I tried the 650s on a gilmore lite and then my gs-1 and voilah...it was a whole new beast that I rather enjoyed.

Good Luck!

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 111
they sound ok with some recordings...I can even hear the potential for improving. but i kinda hoped that i will be able to use them with some electronic music but the bass is not strong and punchy enough...which is just the opposite from what i read here.

I didn't waited three years for them..I just always wanted to have them (the hd595 were my first cans) but at the end decided to get other headphones.(rs1 and ah-d5000)

they don't soooo bad, just lacking some bass. I am taking my last word on the treble..they got enough of it imo, it is just not as piercing as the denons or the grado (dah..) but it is definitely there.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #20 of 111
Even with burn in, they wont have as much bass as your d5000 and you wont hear more treble.
I think the hd650 they are just not to your taste. When people try my headphones its rare to see someone that actually prefers the hd650 over the denon.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. One thing is being on the fence, a whole other thing is to hate their signature. Didn't you mention somewhere that you thought the drivers were 580's? Did you buy them new or used?

I bought them new, and it wasn't me that mentioned the hd580 drivers.
I was started to think that maybe I was ripped off, maybe someone took hd650 headphones(used) and got a low grade driver inyo them.. But now i realise that this is to crazy to think like that.

I will mention again, that they sound nice with certain recordings. I will give myself some more time to get used to their sound because I really believe in sennheiser, from my past experience with them.
I would be very dissapointed if i will have to ditch them anytime soon.

actually...the denon bass was too much and too bloated for me (except for electronic music) so i thought that the senns will be a "light" version of the denon with an open signature. I guess they are not.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 111
I hated them before burn-in, wasn't thrilled with them after burn-in through the Headfive, found them to be pretty good after a source upgrade and loved them when I got my M^3/Sigma amp.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 111
indeed just stop whining and let them burn in ... if you don't like them even after 300hrs you should sell them or upgrade your amp
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't feel too bad if they're indeed not your cup of tea as many others came to the same conclusion as you did.

thanks...i am trying not to be too much depressed with this, I will give them (and my ears) more time and we'll see. I will keep you guys updated.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 111
What tube are you using with your EF1 for HD650? Try the Mullard. They'll bring out the mids full scale and also add to the bass control and impact (you'll lose out on stage and the highs though). They're admittingly not the best amp for the 650's, but they have enough to make it enjoyable IMO.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 111
btw what's balanced? balanced as in without bass booster?

I think you are so used to the bass from your previous headphones that anything with less bass or in this case completely balanced bass seems to your hears like their is no bass at all. I was trying to choose between the denon 5000 and the hd600s and people kept saying "get the denons they are much more fun to listen too"

I bet I would have enjoyed the denons but eventually that level of bass would become normal to me and anything less would sound unnatural, so I bought the hd600s....should come tomorrow....I wonder what they will sound like to me right out of the box as the best thing I have listened to is the bose in ear headphones
jecklinsmile.gif

You should either try to burn them in and get use to the more neutral sound or bring them back and stick to the denons...

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #30 of 111
Just get used to the sound and try to enjoy your music with them. If it doesn't work out for you, you should sell them. As some people have said maybe they are not your cup of tea. You might prefer the RS1 colored sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back