My new HD-800 and 2/ akg K-702 with 2/Burson amps
Mar 1, 2010 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

keithhr1

New Head-Fier
So I've just finished massive system upgrades, custom built Dac, custom built speakers with the famous bandor (4 50mm) array, dual mono passive volume control, 2 Burston HA-160 amps, 2 AKG K-702 headphones and lastly I couldn't stand it, doing without, and ordered the Sennheiser HD-800 for the headphone portion of my audio system. I'm also having custom cables that I designed and had manufactured, used to terminate both the AKG and Senns. I've been in touch with ZXamateurcables and from feedback and info on his website he (Austin) seemed like a good guy to make me 3 sets of 702 cables and one set of HD-800 cables and now we get to see how good both of these headphones can be.
I can say that Austin has been amazing in the way that he has communicated and patiently addressed all of the issues and questions that I have had. Just from the the way it has been progressing I'm sure that the quality of his cable builds will equal the professionalism he has displayed so far as I am having 11ft cables built for each.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 16
Wish you the best. The HD800 are a incredible headphone with cutting edge technology. The 701/702 will also shine very well with better cabling, as some prefer the 701/702 over the HD800.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wait to complete the headphones burn-in to recable them. You don't know how these cans sound, and you'll never know whether the improvement is due to the cable or burn-in.

For sure, even the recable need few hours burn in.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 16
Do you plan to use the HD800 with HA160?

I tried that combination and found that it's way, way too bright. I think HA160 doesn't go well with HD800.

I also found a review from 6Moon, in which the reviewer confirmed my impression about this combination, but he then mentioned HD800 would match well with HA160 if you upgraded the stock cable with something nice (it's ALO cable in the review).

Since you already have a plan to recable the phones, I think, provided the cable from ZXamateurcables alters the sound the same way as that from ALO does, you should be fine with this combination.

Let us know your impression.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 16
Holy cow, let's not add up the cost of that upgrade
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody tried the K702 with the Burson HA160?

That's my current setup (more in my sig).

Like I said many times already, this amp has excellent synergy with K702 (the same situation as HD650+Darkvoice 332). Unless you already have a very good/very hi-end single ended amp, IMO you won't be disappointed getting this amp for your K702/701 (or vice-versa if you already own the amp and getting the phones).

I think OP would concur with me, as he's getting not one, but two HA160s to use with his two K702s.
k701smile.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my current setup (more in my sig).

Like I said many times already, this amp has excellent synergy with K702 (the same situation as HD650+Darkvoice 332). Unless you already have a very good/very hi-end single ended amp, IMO you won't be disappointed getting this amp for your K702/701 (or vice-versa if you already own the amp and getting the phones).

I think OP would concur with me, as he's getting not one, but two HA160s to use with his two K702s.
k701smile.gif

Out of curiosity, did you had the chance to compare the HA160 to the SPL Auditor?

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, did you had the chance to compare the HA160 to the SPL Auditor?

I had a chance to audition the Auditor with K702 and HD800, but have yet to do any direct comparison.

For HD800, I can confidently say that the synergy with HA160 is nowhere as good as that with Auditor, because, to me, the sonic flaw was so obvious when HD800 was paired with HA160.

But when it comes to K701/702, the same can't be said, as to me, HA160 is slightly better, as I feel the music has more dynamic with a little better instrument separation, especially with orchestra (this is only orchestra album I tried). I also tried some Trio/Jazz albums (e.g. Holly Cole: Don't Smoke In Bed, Jazz in Pawnshop, Emi Fujita: Camomile Classic, and Diana Krall: Stepping Out), and think the HA160 delivered slightly better low-end, as double bass was punchier, if not deeper, with it.

Note that I brought my headphones and some CDs to a showroom where the Auditor was already set-up for demo, and then I moved to another shop to audition the HA160.

At first I thought it's unfair for HA160 as the Auditor was connected to a killer rig e.g. Ayre DAC, Nordost Valhalla cable, etc, but the shop where I tried the Burson only connected it to a Denon SACD (couldn't remember the model but I'm sure it's not their cheapest model), with a pair of good quality interconnect (nowhere as expensive as the Nordost).

Though the HA160 was handicapped by some inferior components in the chain, I still feel the HA160 was slightly better with K702. But please don't take my word for it, since this is not a direct A/B comparison, and I may be wrong. This is why I use words "IMO, feel, think".

Since the Auditor is retailed at around 1,170$ where I live, the Burson at 750$ is more interesting option, especially after I made a decision not to go with the HD800.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 16
The reason Burston HA-160 did not sound 'good' with HD800 had to do with the fact that Burston HA-160's max output is 300ohms(?).

The reason it did sound 'good' with K702 is because the lower impedance of K702 (64ohms)... There is nothing magical out there to make equipment work with one another or not. Synergy is based on facts not magic.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason Burston HA-160 did not sound 'good' with HD800 had to do with the fact that Burston HA-160's max output is 300ohms(?).

The reason it did sound 'good' with K702 is because the lower impedance of K702 (64ohms)... There is nothing magical out there to make equipment work with one another or not. Synergy is based on facts not magic.

Also, the Burson delivers a higher current at 62 Ohms than the Auditor/Phonitor, which offer much higher currents @ 600 Ohms.

Could be another reason for the synergy...

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Actually I couldn't find a complete power output specification for the Phonitor.
This is what the web site states:
Max. Output Performance:
1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

But what is the power output @62, or 300 ohm?

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I couldn't find a complete power output specification for the Phonitor.
This is what the web site states:
Max. Output Performance:
1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

But what is the power output @62, or 300 ohm?

One of the reasons you can't find detailed specification info from most DIY headphone amps are that their makers don't even know themselves! lol

From BURSON website introducing their amp...

Quote:

WHY BURSON HEADAMP?

To audiophiles, music is like a religion! Through music we rise above the daily confines of our lives. Music enables us to travel through time and space, to see life through the eyes of others and to fall in love all over again.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the Burson delivers a higher current at 62 Ohms than the Auditor/Phonitor, which offer much higher currents @ 600 Ohms.

Could be another reason for the synergy...

That is correct but with these DIY amps its hard to know, especially when there are no independent reviews and tests done on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back