My new Grado's don't work?
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RiceMonster

New Head-Fier
Hey

So I'm a newbie to this whole Grado and technical sound revelation. I ordered a pair of Grado SR325iS for myself and when I got them  yesterday they didn't seem to work with any adaptors I could find. I've tried using various 6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptors connected to my PC or my iPod, and if I'm lucky there'll be output on the left can.

However, I've plugged in the 325s directly into my electric piano and I get sound from both sides there. I have read maybe one or two threads regarding this issue but I'm not sure what to make of my problem. For the record, when I'm using them for my piano, it produces a sound so sweet that I forget I'm even wearing them! I love them already! I just wish I could listen to my music through it!

EDIT: I've just tried using them through my guitar amp and there is sound out of both cans as well. I've used 3 different adaptors and they're all faulty? Really??

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm not quite sure whats happening there, but to me it sounds like your labtop/ipod can't drive them. Which is odd since I don't think Grado cans need a bunch of power to be driven.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 6
i dont think zero sound is what happens with under-driven cans anyway. maybe the adapters are mono or make sure they are plugged in all the way (although i dont think that would happen 3times)

Quote:
I'm not quite sure whats happening there, but to me it sounds like your labtop/ipod can't drive them. Which is odd since I don't think Grado cans need a bunch of power to be driven.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah it sounds like it's the adapter, does it 1 or 2 bands on the plug; 1 for mono and 2 for stereo.

Just buy yourself a nice amp. 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Sounds like your adapter.

I'd recommend these. It’s made from the same ‘stuff’ as the cable on your Grado and it eliminates any strain on your Ipod’s headphone socket.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643516-REG/Grado_MINI_ADAPTER_Mini_Adaptor_Cable.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back